PDA

View Full Version : Service dog update

ruziska
07-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Today I was picked out by a black lab puppy . He will be coming home to me next Sunday and his name is Karma. The journey begins with my service dog and me. Wish us luck!

steve.b
07-22-2013, 06:12 AM
I am happy that you have taken this step. I didn't say anything before, because I didn't want to sway your decision. a dog can give you more than just comfort.

Saysusie
07-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Congratulations! I agree with Steve, your service dog will also be a loving companion. Please post pictures (when we get the upload issues resolved).

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

ruziska
07-22-2013, 09:14 AM
I didn't realize that I was in denial about my Lupus until I made the decision to get a dog. Until now, its been, "yeah, I have lupus, uh huh, yeah, whatever". I never really took it seriously nor did I realize I hadn't. Now I'm going through all kinds of emotions and I'm totally tripping out. I'm not afraid of the work involved training Karma. I'm actually looking forward to that (potty training- no, but that's part of life). One of his duties will be retrieval and he's a Labrador Retrieval who comes from a long line of proven retrievers. Perfect! We'll be making retrieving a game from day one and he'll be having fun and not realizing he's learning a duty. As far as the mobility/stability aspect is concerned, that will have to wait until he's at least 6 months old. He's got a lot of growing to do first but that doesn't mean he isn't going to learn basic obedience in the mean time.

I guess the part that has me the most upset for lack of a better term is the people I work with. First of all, I need to have a conversation with the boss which I dread (he's moody to put it mildly and one never knows how he'll respond to ANYTHING). They all know I have Lupus. Up until recently, I've walked without assistance, without my cane. Something I should have been using a long time ago. I haven't really talked about my lupus and because of that, my coworkers are surprised. They have questions and that's fine. I expect that and welcome the opportunity to educate people. However, I don't appreciate the negativity born of ignorance. You got it, "well you DON'T LOOK SICK", "I stumble too", "sometimes my joints hurt" etc, etc,etc. Yes, but I stumble over NOTHING, I often get hurt when I stumble. When my joints hurt, over the counter meds don't phase it, and so on and oh yeah, I MAKE LUPUS LOOK GOOD! lol I know it doesn't matter what people think, and I never really cared what anyone thinks about me but I have to spend most of my cognitive hours with these people so the smoother and more pleasant the work day goes the better. I'm sure I'm making too much of a big deal out it. I don't know...

shelly
07-23-2013, 07:47 AM
That is so exciting. I wish you the best with your new pup. Spend lots of time with him and you will develop a special bound. I had a golden retreiver for 13 years and she understood everything I said and was always by my side. I hope you have that bond with your new pup. A puppy is a lot of work in the beginning but it will be worth it.. have a wonderful time.