PDA

View Full Version : Question for the ladies. ( nothing gross, lol)

debbie-b
06-13-2013, 06:06 AM
I have not had a mammogram in over 10 years, because the last one hurt like heck. I am not that sensitive, but it really hurt very bad. Maybe it is because I have cysts, but I don't think, that I can handle this pain again.
My hubby made me promise, that I would get a mammogram this year. I am so scared.
I have read somewhere, that there are painless mammograms available. Does anyone know what they are called?
I have googled " painless mammograms", and it said, that mammograms should not be painful. ( Thanks for that helpful info).
Does anyone have the same problem? I can't be the only one.

Debbie

Nonna
06-13-2013, 06:24 AM
You could talk to your doctor and ask if he could order a sonogram instead. Tell him how painful the mammogram is for you.

debbie-b
06-13-2013, 06:38 AM
You could talk to your doctor and ask if he could order a sonogram instead. Tell him how painful the mammogram is for you.

I have, but he said it was up to the insurance and I am sure they will not pay for that.

Debbie

SleepyInSeattle
06-13-2013, 07:29 AM
It helps many people to take pain relievers before the procedure...if you don't think Ibuprofen will cut it, ask your doc about something stronger. Ket him/her know that your last experience made you wait 10 years before having another one! You need to do whatever it takes to get the screening done - mammograms hurt, but not as much as breast cancer....

tgal
06-14-2013, 12:32 AM
I have rather large breasts and mine didn't hurt until the last one when my fibro was acting up. Then my skin felt like it was on fire and being mashed. I was told then to take pain relievers and, since you are stressed about it, ask your doc about a Valium or something for the procedure. Just make sure someone drives you home!

Jend719
06-14-2013, 03:49 AM
I had one a few years ago and actually you just reminded me I need to go again next month. I was scared that it would hurt from the stories I've heard. The place I went to was fairly new and their machines are new ...it didn't hurt at all. Maybe you could find somewhere that has more modern equipment.

debbie-b
06-14-2013, 03:50 AM
Thanks everyone,

Once I get to Dallas, I will see my Primary from 8 years ago and talk to him about it. He is a great doctor and will probably order an ultra sound, he will find a reason for one.

Debbie

BonusMom
06-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Debbie-

My family has a history of breast CA so I've been having mammos since I turned 35. I am now 48 (our little secret). The machines now are much less painful now than they were when I first started having them. In fact, the initial mammo is a screening mammo and not painful at all (I'm not small breasted by any means). If there is something suspicious, they radiologist calls you back for a more "intensive" mammo (darn lupie fog-I can't remember the technical term). That one, i believe is the more painful one-like the old mammo-of the two. If, based on the findings of the second mammo, they want further studies, an ultrasound will be ordered.

I URGE you to schedule your screening. The timing of the mammo can make a difference-I believe it's best to have it done during the first week of your menstrual cycle. Remember, early detection is the best defense against breast cancer.

PLEASE call and get it scheduled.

steve.b
06-14-2013, 10:47 PM
from a males point of view....... anything that can reduce the risk is worth doing !!!!!!!!! please arrange to have the mammo, and seeing the doctor first for a relaxant makes sense to me.

tomcatsgirl
06-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Debbie, please talk to your dr about your fears of pain I am sure a small prescription for something to get through it is fine. Seems to me it's better that way then not going. My sister just went through breast cancer. It was so scary and sad to watch her be so sick through chemo. It's soooooooooo important for yearly checks. One Valium or painkiller is better then a round of chemo and that is what I would tell my dr lol. I'm gonna check up and make sure you got yourself scheduled.

debbie-b
06-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Thank you everybody for your concern.
I will get it done, like I said, I had to promise my husband and won't break my promise.
I had regular mammograms up to the last time, where it hurt so bad.
Hey Bonus Mom, thanks for the tip with the menstrual cycle, I am 57 and don't have to worry about that anymore.
Hi, Steve thank you for caring. My husband told me " just go and get it done" that is when I told him' how would you feel. if your entire manhood gets squeezed between two thick plastic cutting boards". You can imagine, how he reacted, he was shielding himself. LOL
tomcatgirl, I am sorry about your sister.

Debbie

jolynnhughes
06-15-2013, 12:11 PM
A valium or xanax will make a huge difference. If you are moving to Dallas, go to Lakepointe Imaging in either Forney or Rockwall. They are great, and they have all the latests equipment. I had a screening mamogram in March, and they found some calcifications. They then did a diagnostic mamogram, followed by a sonogram, followed by a biopsy. When it was all said and done, I was truly sorry I had waited so long between screening mamograms. I had a very close call, but the biopsy was fine. I will never wait again -- too scary! Every year for me, from now on!

Elaine1
07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I am sorry you had such pain. I have been through that too many years ago. I later started having them at the women's breast center, and I was treated entirely different. They make a woman feel special, and I had no pain, and very little pressure. Before I left, they wanted to know if how they served me was ok.

BonusMom
07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Did you get moved yet, Debbie? I'm going to "mama you" until you get that appointment made for your mammogram.

Save the ta•ta's!