PDA

View Full Version : It's like London in my head

redstringsoul
06-12-2013, 02:51 PM
My brain fog has been SO badly lately. I've really been struggling to trying to stay cognizant of everything that I'm supposed to be doing. (Those last two sentences took me five minutes because I keep getting distracted worse than I normally do and then totally forget that I was in this window to begin with.)

My short term memory is shot. I work as a writer and blogger and while I've always outlined to help keep my thoughts straight, I'm finding that I have to outline everything I do now or else I can't remember what my points were, and even then I have trouble remembering how I was going to connect those points! But that's better than spoken conversations. I'm an introvert to begin with and pretty quiet so I don't talk much anyway. But this short term memory thing is making things more difficult because there's a good chance I can't remember/hold onto the conversation topic long enough to remember how to respond.

My husband is seriously getting worried that I'm going senile because I can't seem to remember much... and I'm only in my early 30s!! Any suggestions to help with the brain fog? Some days, it's only routine that helps me function. I have alarms set for reminders and I am constantly having to use a timer for cooking (even for simple things like preheating pans because otherwise, I'd forget I had it on the stove!)

Mr. YummyTummy
06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry that you're having such difficulty. I also have the fogginess thing going on. I have for years. We have a system that works well for us though I'm not sure how well it may work for others. We call it "The Big Board." It's basically a 4'X3' dry erase board. Everyone in the family has their own color marker for making notes. Whatever needs to be done for the day gets written on the right side. Things that must be done soon in the middle. Things that are optional or further in the week are on the left. Since it's written by the color of the person to whom it pertains, no need for stating to whom the task or errand/appointment is for. There is also a calendar beside TBB. That way we can keep up with what's going on.

I don't know what I'd do without TBB, my phone calendar and the timer on my phone. I use them multiple times daily. My life is lived by post-it notes, lists, and dry erase boards.

SleepyInSeattle
06-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately, the only thing that COMPLETELY relieves my brain fog is Prednisone - but of course that's not an option long-term. Getting the Lupus under control with Plaquenil, Methotrexate, getting rest/healthy lifestyle, and, for me, a gluten-and-dairy-free diet have helped a lot - but it's never ENTIRELY gone except on steroids.

Do let your doctor know what's going on and that you would like to explore options for making things better. You might want to consult a Neuro at some point, too...Lupus CAN affect the central nervous system, and you want to stay on top of it.

Best of luck, and I'm sorry you're feeling so foggy! :-(