PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosed today with Tumid Lupus

gingersmom
06-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi, My name is Kathy,

I have just been diagnosed today with Tumid Lupus. I had a rash on my back that looked like a bulls eye but without the eye in the middle. It started about three weeks ago and I went to the Dermatologist and he had three others come and look at the rash and they all said they didn't know what it was so they gave me an ointment to try. It didn't go away after a week so I had to go back and they did a biopsy. The results came back today and he informed me that I had Tumid Lupus and he had me go and have blood work to make sure that it is not in my organs. I am freaking out and I am not comfortable with the doctor at all as when I went back today, I have a different type of rash and he stated he didn't know what it is. Any suggestions on what I need to do? I am seriously thinking of getting a second opinion.

tgal
06-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Hi and welcome to WHL. I am sorry you have to be here but am glad that you found us. The good news is that if it is just Tumid lupus (or possibly Discoid as well since you mentioned other rashes) those are cutaneous types of Lupus or "skin only". While it does modify your life because Tumid lupus is highly affected by the sun and fluorescent lighting, those diseases themselves do not cause internal damage. The reason the doctor wanted to check was to make sure that no other type of Lupus, such as SLE, might be happening. To be honest I would probably go see a rhuematogist for the 2nd opinion on any other kinds of Lupus since a derm. Really doesn't know about those and since there is no actual test for it however if your labs came back looking OK and you feel OK otherwise it most likely is contained to the skin and you will simply have to make some adjustments as to sun and lighting exposure as well as medicine.

At this point there really is nothing to freak out over. Try and take a few deep breaths. It's ok and we will be here for you

BonusMom
06-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Welcome to WHL!

I can't really add anything to what tgal stated except to reinforce the "don't stress" part. Stress exacerbates our symptoms and will induce flares-definitely not a good thing.

Get a second opinion, and don't be afraid to ask questions. We've all been in your shoes.

tgal
06-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Hehe... Bet Bonus mom was responding from a phone with autocorrect. I do this all the time! I doubt she was telling you to do any sexing but that getting a 2nd opinion was a good thing. That made my morning!

gingersmom
06-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Thank you tgal for the information. I am making an appointment today with a Rheumatologist. I will keep you posted.