PDA

View Full Version : New To WHL

ELLIEnKARL
06-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Hello every one! In quick intro I have not been diagnosed with Lupus, but I am suffering some of the symptoms. The newest of which is I woke up yesterday with my big toe being half numb. It feels like it fell asleep and is trying to wake up but can't. And when I was laying on my couch last night it felt like someone was punching a nail in the end of my big toe.

My mother has Lupus and Raynaud's, and my paternal grandmother has Lupus. I have a sensitivity to holding cold things. When I get something out of the freezer or cut cold veggies it feels like the cold goes deep into my bone making my hands and sometimes my arms ache. They can turn white and get cold if I don't keep warm, then they can turn a grey blue, but I have never had them turn dark purple.

I have had a facial rash on both cheeks off and on since my son was born almost 12 years ago. I quite often have difficulty speaking, like I can't remember people's names or I say something that comes out all messed up. I feel like my mouth is broken.

I will probably looking for a Rheumatologist soon. Just looking to educate myself and find support.

Thanks,
ELLIEnKARL

Saysusie
06-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Hello and welcome!

You've come to the right place if you are seeking information and education! Please start by reading the 'Stickys" at the top of each forum. There is a wealth of information in there and you may find that many of your questions are answered there. Also, please know that everyone here is willing to provide information, answers, advice, support, comfort, and understanding whenever you may need it.
In reference to the issues of your toe, perhaps you should ask your doctors to test you for gout. While gout is not an auto-immune condition, it does seem to affect many people who have auto-immune conditions. Generally the first indication is issues with the big toe (numbness etc.).
I am glad that you are here and I wish you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

tgal
06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Welcome to WHL. We are so glad to have you. Susie gave you wonderful advice. There are great people here who will make you feel welcome and who wwill be happy to help in any way they can

i look forward to getting to know you as you continue yor journey

ELLIEnKARL
06-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Thank you ladies for your responses! I am definitely going to start reading more of the "stickies" and just about anything else I can find.

Yeah, when I started researching the numbness, gout was the first thing that came up. I also saw vitamin B difficiency and neuropathy from Lupus. My mom suffers from neuropathy in her toe that she controls with anti inflammatory medication. My toe has started feeling much better since I have been wearing socks more and I have taken some Aleeve.

Another question I am trying to find answers for is what constitutes a flare? Is it different for everyone? Can your body ache all over like the flu, but it's not the flu?

I also have dry eyes, and dry mouth. I drink almost a gallon of water a day and sometimes still feel like my mouth is full of cotton. My eyes will feel gritty like there is something in them, but there isn't.

But lately what has been the most frustrating is the brain fog. I was reading on the Lupus Foundation of America board this morning and some of the posts sound like I could have written them! I get so frustrated when I am trying to have a conversation and I am trying to convey a thought and that thougt just inexplicably leaves me, or trying to tell a friend that another of our friends has arrived and I can't remember that friends name for the life of me!
The other day I was having a conversation with my mom about a party held for our Pastor. I called it a "fell ware" party I didn't think it was right, but could not for the life of me figure out what I was saying wrong. Until my mom says you mean a farewell party?
This morning during breakfast I got up from the table and walked into the kitchen to get something, but when I got there I couldn't remember why I had walked in there and my kids had to tell me! It just makes you feel so stupid! But at least with these wonderful boards I don't feel like I am the only one!

Thank you for your support!