PDA

View Full Version : FOODS

Rach
06-27-2006, 07:12 PM
What foods should i REALLY avoid?

i'm going to see the dr on friday

SoleSinger
06-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, I have heard soy is bad for you, as well as alphalpha sprouts, and to limit nightshade veggies and red meat... This is just what I have heard...

Rach
06-27-2006, 10:26 PM
i'm lactose intolerant... but it's only recently. i think around the time when this whole Disease starting showing itself. i dont eat alphalpha sprouts and much red meat!

SoleSinger
06-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Try rice milk! I know some people develop all sorts of allergies with this disease... But, you don't know you have allergies until you try things sometimes... unfortunately...

atedj
06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
I actually use rice milk because I'm trying to stay away from dairy. I think the Rice Dream brand, original flavor is the best. It's a little sweeter and thinner than milk, but overall, not too bad!

Rach
06-27-2006, 11:15 PM
what are nightshade veggies?

SoleSinger
06-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Vegetables that do most of their developing at night.... Tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, I think mushrooms are in that catagory... Eggplant... I think there are more but I can't remember... :lol: :lol:

Rach
06-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Omg i LOVE Tomatoes, potatoes, and Eggplant! Peppers i can do without! This disease (and any other) SUCKS! :?

terrymc
07-07-2006, 12:51 PM
My doctor gave me some copies from a book called Inflammation Nation by Floyd H. "Ski" Chilton, PH.D.
It focuses on things causing inflammation in connective tissue and other things. It has a large section on diets to help with Lupus. Part of what he has told me to do is not red meat, eat 2 "cold" water fish such as salmon. No diet drinks but suggest a glass of RED wine every 2 days.(wow a plus!)Cooking with Olive Oil and adding flax seed suppliments to my daily vitamins. I have had Lupus for 2 years now. Mine mostly affects the connective tissue between all my joints. So it is like feeling 30 years older when I have flare ups. Changes in my diet are starting to help but it will take time for me to see a great differnce. It also mentions trying to use a Medeterrain diet. I have not read all he has given me yet but will try to get as much of it on here as I can in small portions. My doctor found this book at WalMart of all places. He said it has a lot of good info in it for patients with arthritis, Lupus and other diseases that include inflammation. Hope this helps someone.
Terry

Saysusie
07-09-2006, 02:36 AM
Hi Terry;
That is basically the same diet that my doctor suggested to me (although he told me to go out and buy a book he suggested - he wasn't nice enough to give me one -lol).
After making those changes in my diet, I truly believe that it has helped me to maintain my remission (along with lifestyle changes, taking precautions, etc.). I continue to have symptoms and flares, but they are pretty much controlled without additional medications.
Thanks so much for the information

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Rach
07-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi again... i was just wondering... is there any Recommended Sunblock i could buy? I have SPF 50 but i want something BETTER u know? Like Solesinger was telling me about SPF 60... but i just dunno where exactly to get it! (I'm in CA) Or i read a while ago that there was some sort of laundry detergent sunblock so that i could wash my clothes in it and it'll be SPF 30! And... what about if i go to the pool (at a frenz)... the sunblock i have washes off w/ water! Thanks for the help!

SoleSinger
07-09-2006, 10:47 AM
The one I was telling you about is waterproof and I got it at Target...

Hawaiian Tropic brand 60+ SPF sport sunblock

Ariel
07-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Hi again... i was just wondering... is there any Recommended Sunblock i could buy? I have SPF 50 but i want something BETTER u know? Like Solesinger was telling me about SPF 60... but i just dunno where exactly to get it! (I'm in CA) Or i read a while ago that there was some sort of laundry detergent sunblock so that i could wash my clothes in it and it'll be SPF 30! And... what about if i go to the pool (at a frenz)... the sunblock i have washes off w/ water! Thanks for the help!

I really like the Bullfrog 36 sport spray because it is waterproof and you don't have to rub it in so it's easy to carry in your purse and add during the day.

Make sure you apply sunblock 20 to 30 minutes before you go outside!

I also have a big shirt from Coolibar that I'll throw over whatever I am wearing. Look like a baglady but my skin is fabulous! :wink: