PDA

View Full Version : back to the drawing board



ruziska
05-15-2013, 08:49 AM
In January I was diagnosed with pneumonia. So I was given antibiotics. Didn't faze it one bit. Had a chest CT. Pneumonia yes, cancer spots no. Good doctor decided to try doing nothing and hoping it would go away on its own. Well I had the follow up yesterday and the chest xray has shown absolutely NO IMPROVEMENT. Doc is totally befuddled and now I'll be having a bronchoscopy hopefully next week and pray that provides us with answers.

Saysusie
05-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Ummmmm - The doctor is baffled so his answer is to do nothing?????? What about referring you to some specialists? What about running tests to see if something, other than bacteria may be causing the problem? What about doing some research, on his own (which is what doctors are supposed to do) to try to help himself and help you???

Have you thought about getting another doctor?

I do hope that you get some answers!

Peace and Blessings
Namaste
Saysusie

debbie-b
05-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Boy, some doctors are ................. .
I am with Saysusie, alot more tests need to be done. Is he your primary, if so tell him that you want to see a pulmanologist.
Hope you get answers soon.

Debbie

ruziska
05-15-2013, 12:45 PM
He IS the pulmonologist. It all started in January after I went to a walk in clinic for what I thought was an asthma attack. Clinic put me on steroids and an inhaler with a follow up with the pulmonologist. They did NOT do a chest x ray. Pulmonologist ordered chest xray. No asthma but pneumonia. Antibiotics. Antibiotics didn't work. Ordered chest CT. Chest CT confirmed pneumonia and oh yea, a nodule on thyroid. Order thyroid biopsy. Thyroid biopsy came back as "nodule of no significance" Pneumonia? Lets ride it out for 10 weeks and see if it heals itself. 10 weeks later, new chest xray show NO IMPROVEMENT WHATSOEVER, hence the bronchoscopy. Meeting next week with doc doing procedure first then schedule bronchoscopy. Saga continues

debbie-b
05-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Waiting 10 weeks is way to long, even for pneunomia.
I had bronchitis and possible pneunomia, had steroids, inhaler and antibiotics, after two weeks of no improvement, I had another round of antibiotics and that did the trick.
Hopefully the bronchoscopy will shed some light on this mystery.
I'll cross my fingers, that they find out what's going on, treat it and heal it.

Debbie

jmail
05-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Pneumonia is a strange beast. It can be bacterial, viral or fungal. Not responding to antibiotics would generally eliminate the bacterial, unless you've got a resistant variety. If you'd been on steroids, and/or antibiotics for a while, that can promote yeast/fungal cultures. Usually, my docs don't like any growth in my lungs, since I've got COPD and chronic bronchitis. I've lost count of the times I've had pneumonia (and pleurisy), but I don't recall having one that didn't respond to treatment. Some have been kind of tough, requiring hospitalization and IV antibiotics, but they've all responded well to treatment. The stuff can damage the lungs and cause even more issues down the road. The bronchoscopy should probably have been done sooner, but if the pulmonologist isn't familiar with lupus, I can sort-of understand his non-chalant approach. He doesn't understand that your lungs could be potentially weaker than the average bear's...