PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies...what do you do with yourself?

Jaynie
05-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Hi again :)
Just wondering what hobbies people have. I'm a paper crafter tho I try a bit of everything. I've been attempting an art journal, but today I'm not up to anything at all. Maybe I could make dinner later...

So what do people do with themselves? I'd love to hear from you and maybe we can share ideas?

Jayniex

Nonna
05-10-2013, 05:56 AM
I knit and read books. And when I can go to my granddaughters softball games.

SleepyInSeattle
05-10-2013, 07:23 AM
I read a lot, cook, love movies, and occasionally obsess on some craft or home improvement project. Lots of different kinds of things - as long as it's creative!
My real passion is horses - I teach and train part-time, but I also spend a lot of my spare time at the barn.

ruziska
05-10-2013, 08:17 AM
I knit, knit, knit and knit. Crochet on rare occasions, as well as cross stitch. Knitting is my passion. Even have the tattoo!

steve.b
05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
I spend hours on my computer ...... I moderate here, so I keep quiet in the background watching for spammers and such. I also spend hours playing games that keeps my mind active. a few of us play "words with friends"... it is scrabble on face book.

Jaynie
05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
I play "World of Warcraft" quite a lot. Ok so I'm a geek lol. I have 'words with friends' , how would I join in with you guys? I'm also a little bit very addicted to Pinterest and I play Hayday on my IPad. I thank God for my IPad! (And I'm not being flippant!). I'm watching lots of catch up series' on Netflix. I try to walk a bit every day at the moment too in the hope that I can build up some strength.....not sure how that's working out!
Jx

tomcatsgirl
05-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Baking. I love to bake. I do cakes on the side. I just recently last weekend was involved with an auction to benefit the American Cancer Society. My sister spoke and I put up for a custom designed cake. My cake auctioned for 350. I was pretty excited. Its to help children with cancer go to camp. So in June I will be designing a cake for a 3 year old. I love to make sugar flowers and work a lot with fondant. I also make my own bread sourdough bread. I love gardening although I am no good at it. I kill everything. Anything crafty really.

Mica
05-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Jewelry making thats my real passion, but I also do other DIY things. Right now am learning how to solder for my jewelry making and have gotten pretty good for a beginner. I love building things right now i'm working on cat runs for the walls, I am the type of person if I have the tools and some vague instructions I can figure it out. I really wish I had someone in my life to show me how to work all the tools in my garage from my recently passed grandpa so i'm no professional but i'm learning as I go, I just recently figured out how to work a dremel and spent hours cutting metal. Just finished my beaded cherry blossom tree it came out amazing! Really enjoy cooking but I don't do it much anymore because it's hard on me with the heat and standing. Addicted to Tumblr, pinterest and netflix but unlike most people I actually try the crafts on pinterest. I don't crochet or cross stitch anymore because it hurts my hands but really i'm into everything except drawing or painting because I suck at it and I have no patience. Oh and really into my animals not just loving them but rescuing strays and finding them homes.

debbie-b
05-10-2013, 01:49 PM
I still work full time, so there isn't much time for anything, plus I am exhausted and in pain when I get home from work.
Doing puzzles relaxes me, I used to do those alot, but I have to do them on the dining room table and it's difficult for me to sit on the chair. I am planning on buying a puzzle table, which I can put in front of me, sitting in my lazy boy.
I do 1000 and 1500 piece puzzles.

Debbie

n.mac
05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I still work full time but try to make time for fishing,hiking,gardening(mostly tomatoes& peppers) and reading.
Lately I have been reading a variety of historical novels.

SleepyInSeattle
05-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Lately I have been reading a variety of historical novels.

n.mac - have you read "Wolf Hall" yet? My favorite book of the last decade. I also LOVE historical fiction!

steve.b
05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Baking. I love to bake...... My cake auctioned for 350. ...... that is fantastic. well done

steve.b
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
...... I have 'words with friends' , how would I join in with you guys?......as it is a face book application, you need each persons face book details. I will send you a personal message.

Jaynie
05-12-2013, 12:30 AM
N.mac and Debbie, I'm surprised you still work, especially if you then have so little time at home when you're feeling ok. How do you do it? I often wonder whether I should be working, but my body is so unreliable and lupus is so unpredictable. I'm learning what things make me worse, but avoiding them doesn't necessarily mean that the next day I'll feel better.
I must try crochet again, but I like to produce something in a short time cos I'm impatient! I like to read, but I like to listen to audio books too whilst I hang washing...which there is always plenty of in our house with 5 kids!
Jx

rob
05-12-2013, 09:23 AM
In the winter months, I build R/C aircraft, and I build static display models for a couple of local museums.

In the summer months, I enjoy flying the R/C models I build in the winter, and I enjoy kayaking. Whale watching from the perspective of a kayak, is an awesome, and humbling experience.

My other hobby, which I do year-round, is antique auto restoration. My father and I restored our first car together when I was in junior high, and upon completion and the first "rollout" from our shop, we were hooked. Since then, and until his time here ended, we restored a total of 9 cars. Although I'm working solo now, I have no intention of quitting, and I'm in the early stages of looking for car project number ten.

Rob

BonusMom
05-13-2013, 05:07 AM
I also continue to work full time so I'm not able to enjoy as many hobbies as I'd like. Also, I'm just really beginning to discover what I enjoy doing because i spent so many years raising kids and doing for them that I didn't have a lot if time to discover what i enjoy doing for myself.

I enjoy cooking, especially baking cookies and desserts. I bought myself a nice set of golf clubs last summer and took lessons-I'm hooked! The course is approximately two miles from my house. I enjoy Pinterest and home decorating projects. Yes, I've refinished furniture using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and it's as easy and forgiving as all the blogs claim!

I'm a (former) word nerd and I've recently discovered Words With Friends (thanks Steve!). I prefer longer words vs a board with three letter words and a bazillion points-something a childhood friend is a master at--boo! It's difficult to describe unless you've played [wink]. I grew up playing Scrabble with my Mom, a game we still enjoy every time we get together. I say former word nerd because SLE/brain fog comes into play at times and those games are rough, but occasionally, I can beat Steve.

steve.b
05-13-2013, 11:51 PM
......I enjoy cooking, especially baking cookies and desserts........... so if I send you my address, and the postage..... can I expect a nice package in the mail?

BonusMom
05-14-2013, 01:12 AM
so if I send you my address, and the postage..... can I expect a nice package in the mail?

You bet, Steve!

I've been known to make special deliveries.

sfruth
05-16-2013, 03:48 PM
I started doing counted cross stitch about 6 years ago...B.L. (before lupus). My initial sx was swelling/stiffness in my hands, and the stitching really seems to help maintain function and mobility. I am also interested in camping/travel, and love our travel trailer for this. Which leads to other interests like photography and bird watching.

Ruth

Eileen
05-18-2013, 05:20 PM
I knit, spin, weave when my hands allow it, I spend alot of time w my horses & dogs, sheep and now that its spring its gardening time.

Lee

Amy
05-21-2013, 11:24 AM
I paint quite a lot, I've recently opened a small business (well I wouldn't call it a business a such) selling my artwork called Art4Awareness, I try to make people understand how lupus feels by painting how it feels! I also write short stories and poems :) xx