PDA

View Full Version : Just been diagnosed

Rach
06-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this - this whole LUPUS thing so bare w/ me...i was just diagnosed w/ Lupus on June 7... and i feel like CRAP! As we speak, my RIGHT HAND and knees are killing me! Its hard for me to type right now! What to do? i took some tylenol along w/ the Plaque stiff but its not helping! I hate having Lupus! I hardly go out of the house now! I'm on disability... i cant even bring myself to get up in the morning to work out! I just need some advice or ANYTHING! HELP!

atedj
06-27-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty new to Lupus, too. But what I've learned is that I had to give up on the idea of exercising right now (during a flare). It just made me feel guilty when I couldn't do it. I mean, how can you expect yourself to do anything, even walk very far, when you can hardly go about in daily life? Worry about getting back into shape once the meds kick in and you start feeling better. Has your rheumy mentioned trying Steroids? They aren't good to stay on for really long periods of time I've learned, but they sure do help when things are really bad. I was put on Prednisone and am tapering off of it now. It amazed me how fast it took away the pain and inflamation: within hours of taking the first dose! It was a life saver for me. Make sure you educate yourself about this disease. It made it alot less scary for me when I knew what kinds of things to avoid and such. This site really helps alot because you learn about all the little day to day things that matter but no one ever really talks about in a Lupus article. Anyway, I hope this helps a little. Good luck and know that we all understand EXACTLY how you feel, both physically AND emotionally!

SoleSinger
06-27-2006, 08:30 PM
You might have to completely change your idea of what exercise is... Parking a little further away at the grocery store might replace jogging... Going up and down the stairs a couple times might replace that step class you once took... And on your good days, don't over do it just because you are having a good day!!! Save what you can while still taking advantage of your good days... It's all about balance...

LOL! Yeah I talk the talk, but when it comes to walking the walk, I suck at it, too!!!

But, one piece of advice that I CAN give that I DO follow closely... Don't let anyone make you feel bad because you can't or don't feel like doing something! You have to take care of you first and foremost!!!

Morpheus
06-28-2006, 12:47 AM
hi rach, This must be a very trying time for you :cry: Just to let you know that you are not alone. if you ever need some one to let a load off, i'll be here.

I've had lupus for the lst ten years.

take it easy.

You never remember what you are taught,only what you learn[quote]

ButterflyRN
06-28-2006, 05:49 AM
Rach, hang in there. It takes a little time but once those meds kick in you'll start to feel better. We're here for you and anytime you need to vent just drop us all a line. :lol:

stjames13
06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
8)
RACH
EXACTLY WHAT BUTTERFLY RN just said, CALM DOWN.....There are many of us who are doing OK with LUPUS and a MYRIAD of other probelms as well.....there is no cure and there is no one medecine for each case that works perfectly !!!

Your doc has put you on the standard meds that we all had at first PREDNISONE AND PLAQUENILL.....PLEASE give it time and give YOURSELF A BREAK.....by being upset and STRESSED OUT is keeping the meds from being able to KICK this in the Butt !!!!!

I promise you in time you will feel better and most likely lead a relatively normal life......in time my dear in time.....

ST James 8)