PDA

View Full Version : EMG tomorrow. What to expect?

Kjell
05-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi there. Well, I decided to get a second opinion after all. I really like this team of doctors and felt very comfortable with them. They of course are running more test, and now a EMG tomorrow. Just wondering what's that like? I read about it of course but, not the same as asking someone who's had it.. I was diagnosed with Lupus about 5 months ago, but kept complaining about muscle tightness pain.. etc. Noticed I had a hard time crossing my legs, or squatting, (keep in mind I use to be a gymnast growing up, so this was a little alarming). This Doctor seems to think my symptoms are caused from something called Dermatomyositis..? Well, I'm having this test in the morning so hopefully someone can answer this question.. If not, I guess I'll come back and report how it goes. :)

Derrie
05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
An EMG is not horrible, but it's definitely not fun. You'll be in a room with a nurse and a doctor, and the doctor will test the responsiveness of your nerves and muscles to electrical currents. Which is exactly what it sounds like-- they give you little shocks. It is uncomfortable, but not terribly painful, and it is over pretty quickly. For the EMG specifically, they administer the electric stimulation through tiny needles they put just barely into your skin.

It was quite a while that I had this done, but that's my memory of it. You should have no unpleasant after-effects. Just grit your teeth if it gets too uncomfortable, because it's over soon.

Good luck!

Kjell
05-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the info. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. So ready to just be on my way to getting better.. Hope this test helps.

Derrie
05-03-2013, 05:38 AM
I hope the test is helpful, too! Let us know how it goes.

Kjell
05-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Test was not fun. I just did the grit your teeth thing. Glad it's over. The Dr said there was some issues. I think damage of my muscles actually. Nerves were ok though. I guess they will now send the results to my Dr and he'll call me next week with the results. More waiting and struggling explaining what's going on to family and friends..