PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for hair loss

Leaniebean
04-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Hey everyone, I am loosing my hair again and I was wondering if there are any tips out there that someone may have to I can prevent loosing it all. It's thinning and breaking off. It's really getting bad on the front

TammySue
04-29-2013, 11:14 AM
I've been using essential oils for various Lupus related symptoms. I came across this information (http://www.livestrong.com/article/248313-essential-oils-for-hair-loss/)that might interest you.

Leaniebean
04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
I've been using essential oils for various Lupus related symptoms. I came across this information (http://www.livestrong.com/article/248313-essential-oils-for-hair-loss/)that might interest you.

Thanks, so the oils are working out for you? I think I will try to lavender and rosemary oils

SleepyInSeattle
04-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Be careful with too much lavender as it can affect your hormones. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-838-LAVENDER.aspx?activeIngredientId=838&activeIngredientName=LAVENDER (click on the "side effects" tab)

I find that taking a biotin supplement helps (check with your doc, but it's just a B-vitamin, so usually they don't have a problem with it), as well as using good conditioners and leave-in conditioners so that the hair I still have is as healthy as possible. I also get it hilighted a few times a year and that makes it LOOK thicker than it is.

I lost a lot of hair last year when I had a flare, a big blast of prednisone, and started Mtx - but since then it seems like my body has gotten used to the new medication, and/or the biotin has helped - some of it grew back and it is healthier - though still not like it used to be. :-(

I know its vain, but I really hate this side effect of the medications/disease!!!!!

TammySue
04-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Dry Hairspray makes your hair appear thicker than it is too and gives it body. Use a light hand when applying it however. I've also used baby powder lightly on my scalp when I'm out of the dry shampoo.

I'm using Helichrysum oil for the lupus rash on my face. I'm seeing a slight improvement and I'm only on day six. I also use lavender and orange oils for aromatherapy.

BonusMom
04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I believe Biotin contributed to my nails becoming dry, brittle and cracking. Just an FYI.

tgal
05-01-2013, 07:02 AM
I have no tips to help stop it but I did find something to help hide it until it began to grow back. I permed my hair. I know it sounds silly but I had very straight, fine hair so mine was noticeable when Lupus took it. I had a perm put it my hair to help cover it and it worked. It actually worked so well That although I noticed it coming out during my MTX treatment at first I just assumed it was normal hair loss because I didn't see it on my head. About a year and a half later it hit me that I HAD lost hair from MTX and it had grown in a new texture! I still looked like I had the perm. Lol I was so slow I never snapped the perm was long gone!

Leaniebean
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to give the lavender oil a try. Luckily it's just starting to fall out so I am trying to catch it before anything drastic takes place. Last time I was almost bald on one side :( now I need to find a new dr