PDA

View Full Version : Immunisations dilema ?????

Sammy
04-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Hi all,

As it is coming into flu season here in Australia i was just wondering how some feel about getting the flu shot. I have never had the shot before and haven't had the flu for about 8 years now. Of course i worry about getting sick but i'm also stressed about having the shot and it playing havic with my immune system and making me sick. I have never even asked my rheumy whether i should be having it maybe he just assumes i am.

Sam xx

SleepyInSeattle
04-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Last two years I was on Plaquenil and methotrexate, and had no problem with the flu shot - and I was REALLY glad I had it when it started going around. I had my healthiest winters yet!

I felt a little lousy for a day or two right after the shot, but nothing horrible. Just be sure to tell them you need the KILLED-VIRUS version. Usually it's only the nasal mist that has attenuated (live) virus, but it's good to double-check.

tgal
04-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Although you should always speak to your Dr, it is usually suggested that Lupus patients get the flu and pneumonia vaccines (always shot, never live, inhaled virus though). Below is some information from the Lupus Foundation

Flu Shots (http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_learnliving.aspx?articleid=2688&zoneid=527)