PDA

View Full Version : question about elective procedure

ihate2shave
06-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey... question: Sun exposure in my youth has left me with a regular crop of pre-cancers on my skin. (In addition to SLE which has been improving a lot the past few months to moderate fatigue and pain.) So besides my rheum, I regularly see a dermatologist to be checked and have things "frozen" off with liquid nitrogen. This causes a blister which scabs before healing, and I often have a dozen of these "sores" on my face showing at a time. It's pretty unsightly, not to mention itchy and irritating.

I've talked with my derm about having a medium-depth chemical peel to head off these little pre-cancers, and the derm thinks it will help. I'm thinking it would be nice to just go through the procedure and then maybe not have these sores for a year or so, then doing another peel, sort of like "pre-emptive strikes."

Obviously I would need to clear this with my rheum first and am not asking for medical advice. But anecdotally, has anyone here gone through this? Or gotten any elective procedure done? If so what's been your experience?

Thanks.

stjames13
06-25-2006, 11:07 AM
8)
No but I can tell you that with LUPUS your IMMUNE system is not working properly and to have something elective may not be in your best intrest.

Your bodys ability to heal is extremely LOW due to the LUPUS and if you have been taking prednisone ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!

BE sure you get full release from all treating physicians before you go through this as you may end up with MORE SORES that will get very infected and take forever to heal.

I'm sure your docs will check you out from top to bottm before you go through with this but if you already have leasions that WILL NOT heal ,
I doubt they will allow it because then your entire face may end up infected and it also may not heal well.....and also cause the other leasions to get even worse.

BE VERY CAREFULL WITH ELECTIVE STUFF !!!!!
Because you will have to sign off ALL liability before the Doc will do this procedure and that means he's off the hook and GOD FORBID something goes wrong it's ALL on you.....and your face maybe scared for ever.

StJames 8)

Saysusie
06-26-2006, 02:35 AM
I've had many surgeries...none of them elective. But, still, surgeries and with my Lupus, Fibromyalgia and myriad of other illnesses...it was a long process to get all doctors to sign off on the surgeries. I mean, I had to have so many tests, prior to each surgery, to make sure that my levels were good enough to endure the surgery, that I was strong enough to withstand the anesthesia, that my blood would clot properly, that my heart would withstand the trauma, that my wounds would heal properly, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention that I could not have any indications of a flare whatsoever!! And all of these precautions were done even though each surgery was necessary. I am fortunate that I belong to an HMO and all of my doctors could confer with each other prior, during and after each of my surgeries.
So, while it is possible that we can have surgery and come throuh it o.k., there are many precautions that we have to take and we must, like St. James said, get an ok from each of our doctors. Make sure that you do get your entire medical team to sign off on your surgery. For us, there is so much more to consider.
I know that it must be hard to have to deal with facial maladies, so it would do wonders for you to no longer have to. So, please be diligent in taking all precautions before deciding to have any surgery.
I wish you the best
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

ihate2shave
06-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Thank you for your replies and for being so candid! I'll talk with my rheum about it (always a necessity) and won't do it if he thinks it too risky. It's perhaps not as serious as surgery w/general anesthesia -- this is local only, so it may be akin to getting dental work done -- nevertheless it still involves risks. I always heal completely from the freezing, it just looks unsightly for a week or so, times 15-20 times/year (for new pre-cancers).

Always wise to take every precaution! If I should decide to do it, it would not be until fall when the sun is more mild, and I'll let you know how it goes.

ihate2shave
06-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Regarding skin lesions... I'm confused, because my derm refers to the lesions as pre-cancers that are not strictly related to the lupus (although sun obviously contributes to both). My rheum seems to see these lesions as a part of the SLE. When I take this question (or this view) back to my derm, he clarifies it by saying the pinkness on the skin is SLE, and I have vasculitis from the SLE which makes the lesions appear more obvious when they're healing (post-freezing). Which makes sense, except I get the feeling my rheum thinks the lesions won't crop up as much if the SLE is really under control. (Although he hasn't said this in so many words, this is just my impression.)

Can anyone clear this question up for me... ?

Saysusie
06-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Most SLE lesions do respond to treatment and for many, once the Lupus is under control with treatment, the lesions also begin to minimize. However, as I mentioned above, there are many different types of lesions with Lupus and almost all of them are exacerbated by the sun. So, how they respond to treatment depends upon the type of lesion, the severity of the lesions and the type of treatment. So, in essence, both of your doctors are correct!

Did that just confuse you more? I hope not :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

silverlioness
06-26-2006, 11:50 PM
I am personally against all elective procedures. This is because I had an elective procedure that was done endoscopically and under heavy sedation. It seemingly was no big deal. Let me mention now that I have bad luck. Due to my "little procedure," I won a 29-day stay in the hospital with at least half of those being in intensive care. The ER doctor's notes said I had a high probability of death the initial night. I've had over 10 CT scans of my abdomen. I read that each CT scan has the same amount of radiation as 250 x-rays. And to make life even greater, I had a radioactive dye injected during the initial procedure. My procedure caused pancreatitis, which caused my bowels to shut down, and ball of gunk that stayed in my pancreas for a year. I supposedly am all better now but definitely fearful.

ihate2shave
06-27-2006, 07:55 AM
Thank you Susie, that is in fact very helpful.

Silver Lioness, Oh my God! That's so awful. I'm sorry you had that experience. That definitely gives me pause. I hope you have recovered fully by now. No one should have to go through that experience.

May I ask you... what is endoscopically? And when you say "heavy sedation" does this mean you had local and not general anesthesia? Were you not in a flare period at the time so you thought it was safe, did your rheum clear you to get this procedure?

Thank you for sharing your painful experience to help me and others.

silverlioness
06-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Thank you Susie, that is in fact very helpful.

Silver Lioness, Oh my God! That's so awful. I'm sorry you had that experience. That definitely gives me pause. I hope you have recovered fully by now. No one should have to go through that experience.

May I ask you... what is endoscopically? And when you say "heavy sedation" does this mean you had local and not general anesthesia? Were you not in a flare period at the time so you thought it was safe, did your rheum clear you to get this procedure?

Thank you for sharing your painful experience to help me and others.

They put a tube with a camera and tools (an endoscope) down my throat and into my stomach and the area right past my stomach (the duodenum). Endoscopically might not be a word - but they did my procedure using an endoscope. Heavy sedation is when they drug you heavily (usually with anti-anxiety drugs) so you stay asleep (the same kind you have at night) during the procedure. I guess so you don't experience discomfort. My IV supplying my drugs fell out (!!) during my procedure, so I did wake up. That was probably the cause of my issue but no one confirmed that. I had not been officially diagnosed with lupus at that time. My diagnosis at that point was "mild lupus symptoms" and was made by my PCP. My rheumatologist doesn't think my "side-effect of the procedure" (as they called it) was related to lupus in any way. I'm glad I could share. That's why I think this forum is a Godsend - my family and friends are tired of hearing this stuff everyday, but we (lupies) understand our need to "talk."

ihate2shave
06-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Oh dear!!! That must have been horrifying to "come to" in the midst of that procedure. Bad doctor!!! Baaaaddd!!!

I know what you mean about people being tired of hearing about it. I've barely talked about it to friends b/c I've lost a few friends b/c they got tired of me not being able to do my share of the driving (!#%^#!!) and or been more needy than I once was - I used to be very "low maintenance" and the friends I had were used to me that way. So when I suddenly had *needs* a couple just bailed.

Luckily one friendship deepened and some new, truer ones came on the scene. :D

stjames13
06-28-2006, 10:59 AM
8)
REMEMBEr that anytime anyone is PUT UNDER it is DANGEROUS and ther is always a slight chance that complicatins may occur.....Having LUPUS and a bad immune system makes those chances even HIGHER so I totally agree that ANY ELECTIVE PROCEDURE should be forgotten about and only nesseccarry procedures should be done.

If you have such bad leasions that persist and never seem to go away you may wat to see a DERMATOLIGIST and have him check you for another type of LUPUS and that is DISCOID LUPUS.

I am UNLUCKY and have both......you may also be in that category , if that is the fact then if you think those leasion's are bad now...whew wait until you have a full few layers of skin removed and it get's ahold of your face...the results that ou expect my turn out to be a nightmare.

I am a MUSICIAN and play guitar and piano when I get these leasions on my hands which after being checked they turned out to be LOADS OF IRON AND DEAD WHITE BLOOD CELLS that were coming out of my hands like VERY SHARP SPLINTERS...there have been recording dates and gigs that I was unable to even hold a pencil or fork in my hands let alone pl;ay a guitar.

So you may want to look into the possibilities of DISCOID LUPUS even before you even consider an ELECTIVE PROCEDURE.

ST James 8)

ihate2shave
06-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi St. James, you bring up a very important point, I've never asked if I may have discoid in addition to systemic.

That's neat that you play guitar! What kind of music? (if you happen to catch this post) I have some dear friends who have a jazz band and they play around town a lot and do some recording.

Take it easy -

stjames13
06-30-2006, 10:00 AM
8)
I play THE BLUES.....

I have put out 4 albums over the years and am being asked to do another right now, but with me getting S.S. I don't know if I can swing it without having to give up all my benefits....which I WILL NOT DO !!!!

Though I love my music and it was very nice of them to offer me another contract......
My MAIN JOB is to ensure my wife is taken care of GOD FORBID something happens to me.
Financially we have plenty stashed away , and the house is payed for and worth close to a milllion bucks, but I want her to get my pension and LIFETIME HEALTH BENEFITS...after I pass on....and if I give it all up she will not be able to get them back so I may have to give up the music on a professional level and just live off of my pension and SS and keep stashing away money for my wife.

St James 8)

ihate2shave
07-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Oh the blues! New York! Two of my favorite things. :D

You've talked to a lawyer, right? I think there's a way you can work intermittently and still keep social security benefits. Also it seems a pension would cover your wife...? I hope you can find a way to make great music and protect your resources.

I'm going to talk to a couple estate planners when and if I do get a settlement to figure out how to protect myself under any circumstance. It's tough. If I get enough I'm moving to New York, seriously cuz it's my favorite city. probably I'll only be able to live somewhere like Va or NC, and I'll make weekend visits to NYC! When I do I'll let you know so I can come to one of your performances.

stjames13
07-02-2006, 10:07 AM
8)
Not JUST a lawyer, but I have the SAME AGENT AS BB KING !!!!

NORM LIEBERMANN...HE's a great guy and right now we are back to negotiating with ALLIGATOR RECORDS, which is the OLDEST and LARGEST BLUES LABEL in the Country !!!!!

Since I already addonrn the walls of ARISTA with the song that you most like have heard by the band BLONDIE...."ONE WAY OR ANOTHER"

Well I wrote that song with a friend and since at the time it really wasn't my style I sold it to DEBBIE HARY and CHRIS STEIN and CHRYSALLIS RECORDS for 30 GRAND.......LITTLE DID I KNOW IT WOULD SELL MILLIONS OF COPIES and BE THE BIG COMMERCAIL HIT IT HAS BECOME.

Every time I watch TV it's either a SWIFTER COMMERCIAL or in a TV show as part of the score.....Oh well I needed the money and WHO KNEW.

Debbie and Chris needed the money because Chris had become diagnosed with Lukemia and they sold their entire collection of songs to CHRYSALLIS.....the GOOD PART is my friends DEBBIE AND CHRIS are HAPPY and together and CHIRS is in remission !!!!

Glad ya changed your mind.....get that DISCOID LUPUS checked out as I have it bad and it canbe VERY painfull due to the SPIKES that come from within your body like splinters and push their way out.....it's easily kept at bay , BUT the SUN and dust or dirt willmake it FLAIR UP in a heart beat !!!!

BE GOOD TO YOURSELF

Sincerly
St James 8)

ihate2shave
07-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Hey, very kewl story...