PDA

View Full Version : Is Lupus genetic???

Carlene
03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
I was wondering, if you have a close family member with Lupus, what are the chances of another person in the family having Lupus???
I have a sister with Lupus.

Anyone have a family member with lupus also?

ruziska
03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I cannot answer that question but wish I could. I'd like to know if my children have more of a potential to have Lupus since I have it. HOWEVER, coincidenc? My half sister on my mom's side has Myasthenia Gravis. She is 60 years old (I'll be 50 this month) and she was diagnosed back in 1975. I don't know if my mother had any autoimune diseases as she died in 2011 and refused to take care of herself much less get a check up. The only thing I know for sure about her is that she had untreated extremely high blood pressure (thank you drug store machines) and ultimately died from stroke

tgal
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
The answer is yes and no. Yes, there is a generic factor.having a relative with the an AI disease does put you at greater risk HOWEVER it doesn't mean you will get it. Scientist also believe it takes an environmental factor (virus, chemical, etc) to "turn on" the disease so to speak. There is so much we don't know about the disease but we do know there is a genetic factor as well as other factors. We just haven't figured out how all of the pieces fit together yet

Carlene
03-05-2013, 01:47 PM
There is so much to learn about this disease, it can make you're head swim. I hope I can get a diagnosis soon.

rob
03-05-2013, 03:25 PM
My mother has Lupus. She was diagnosed about 20 years ago. I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004.

Carlene
03-05-2013, 11:23 PM
I thought I had read it somewhere. I think if i'm right the website said, "...if you have a close relative with Lupus you're 10 times more likely to have lupus over someone who has no family history of the disease."

gizlby
03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
My mother was diagnosed with Lupus in 2003. She was later diagnosed with ALS in 2009 and just recently passed away.

I was diagnosed with Lupus last year.

My dr. said there is a genetic trait to it and that my kids could test positive but if they aren't exhibiting symptoms then theres no point to treat it. Something just triggers the disease inside of us.

rob
03-06-2013, 09:57 AM
This isn't exactly scientific, but I've had the opportunity in my 5 years here (has it really been that long?) to meet and talk to hundreds of people with SLE, and I'd say a good 60-70% of those people had someone else in their family with SLE, or with some other autoimmune disorder.

The popular opinion is that there is a genetic component to Lupus as well as environmental triggers. That's my opinion as well.

Rob

jmail
03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
"Scientifically" speaking, it'd be known as "familial clusters" when more than one person in a family gets it. I just wish it wouldn't have "clustered" so closely to me and mine... tic

Numpty
03-10-2013, 06:53 PM
So far as I'm aware, I'm the first person in my family to be diagnosed with SLE but my cousin has started to have issues with the joints of her hands (and some other symptoms similar to mine) and the possiblity of Lupus has been mentioned.
That said, my Grandmother's brother passed away in his teens from 'Rheumatics in the Legs' which I believe is what's stated on his Death Certificate and to me I guess that could possibly be Lupus related although we also have Muscular Dystrophy in our family (my brother has MD) so could just as easily have been that too as they obviously didn't know all that they know now about either disease.

BonusMom
03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
My half-brother has Dermatomyositis, which is an autoimmune disorder. I have a few cousins with thyroid issues, but none with SLE, Sjogren's or Raynaud's.

My middle son also has Raynaud's.

kim,l
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
in my case yes i would say there is a genenetic factor my mother has it. i have a severe case. and my eldest daughter has it just mild . and my youngest the rhuemi says is on borderline could go either way so she needs regular tests.

MzKellyjane
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I recently got diagnosed with lupus in February, and my sister was also diagnosed with lupus prior 7 years ago. She's also a member of this website too and introduced me to it. I wouldn't doubt that it's genetic, because me and my sister both have it and both got it around the same age. I don't know if anyone else in my family has had lupus, but i think my grandma may have had it and also my dad's aunt. I hope this helped!

sfruth
03-18-2013, 10:47 AM
I wasn't aware of any family history of lupus. My girlfriend's mother had lupus with severe sx when we were in high school, and 45 years later is still living. My girlfriend was just diagnosed 5 years ago, though she had Raynauds ever since I knew her. In my family, there appears to be auto-immune disease in my sisters- Older sister has peripheral neuropathy, which we believe is auto-immune in nature, and an aunt and a cousin also had that. My younger sister has psoriasis, and was recently diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy which her doctor says is auto-immune.
It is really interesting to me how my lupus emerged after I contracted norovirus on a cruise. It brewed for a year and a half before I was diagnosed.