PDA

View Full Version : Back again

Jltoland
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
And wow. It's been a while.

I got a new rheumatologist the same time I found a nodule in my neck. I mentioned it to my GP, who ordered an ultrasound and found a 1cm mass. He then referred me to MD Anderson and a surgical oncologist there.

O.O yeah. Oncology. Cue me freaking out.

On December 26th I had a fine needle aspiration and it showed suspicious for malignancy and atypical follicular cells and the surgeon recommended of course surgery.

So a week ago today I had my thyroid removed and the doctor said the minute she opened me up and looked at my thyroid organ, she knew I had Hashimoto's. they took out the whole organ, just to be safe because of the suspicious for malignancy and all but I'm now thyroid-less.

I've been on thyroid medicine for 6 years so its not a big deal but it all makes sense. It is actually a huge relief and I sat in bed and cried all afternoon in relief, not mourning my thyroid one bit, but instead crying over the fact that I suffered for 6 years with weird thyroid crap and it's all over now. no one ever suggested Hashimoto's. not my first rheummy, who can get lost in a forest for all I care.

Oh well. One more week and I'm back on my MTX. Maybe I can get back some of my hair now :)

steve.b
02-26-2013, 07:18 AM
i am glad things have turned out so well.

i know quite a few people without there thyroids.
so it is not abig issue if controlled well... (as you have done for 6 years)

glad you are sorting out what your body does / does not need.
what parts of your body work.

tgal
02-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Thank goodness it was found! On the road to feeling better!

I completely understand your frustration over the last doc. Sorry you had to go through that but glad it worked out well in the end though

jmail
03-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Your doc aughta get lost in the desert, surrounded by sidewinders, ya know? The forest is too kind, and able to sustain life too easily... My first pcp was like that. Only did TSH tests for my thyroid, which was always fine, ya know? I changed docs after five years, and the new pcp did the full battery first thing. The antibodies are easy enough to "see" when using the correct blood test. The main thing to follow is the symptoms. The gp should have found it also... Do you have other doctors available to you?

Glad you're doing better though, in spite of your medical "professionals".

Nonna
03-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Never ever trust a PCP with thyroid issues. If I had gone to an endocrinologist in the beginning I would not not weight 225. This is from 105. My weight kept skyrocketing and the PCP did nothing because my tests where in the normal range.

But I am glad you're okay now . I've had Hashimotos for over 30 years and it wasn't until I saw an endo ((20 years ago) that I knew what was wrong and it got fixed.

Good luck with regulating your levels now and remember normal range isn't always normal for each person