PDA

View Full Version : Darn flares!

TracyDawn
06-22-2006, 05:22 PM
I swear it seems like I've been flaring forever now. :( It really really stinks. I had my 3 month check up last week. Dr was NOT happy. hmmm she was happy with my "whiteness" tho. :lol: :roll: I told her I cover up everytime I am outside, sunscreen, hats etc. She said I can tell but you are still not looking good symptom wise. My lovely rash was all in my hair, on my face, back, pain everywhere, fevers are back etc. So I am now on prednisone. :( I was hoping to avoid that a little longer but nope didn't happen. I have to take 10 mg every other day which really isn't much but man do I feel better. Still working through this flare but definitely getting better.
I am on it indefinitely. How many of you have been put on it and were able to taper off when you were better? How long was it before that happened? Never been on it before so just wondering. Thanks.
Edited to add - the dr told me to try the Olay Lotion with the tanner in it because I am NOT happy with my whiteness. ;) I look sickly when I am so pale. So dh bought me some and this stuff is AWESOME! He's been out of town for a few days and saw me yesterday after using it for 4 days. He said I looked sooo much better. :) :) I can't use the other ones like it because I react badly to the lotions but I have to say, the Olay one gets my thumbs up.

ButterflyRN
06-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Hey TracyDawn. Sorry to hear that you had to go on Prednisone. I've been on Prednisone every since I was diagnosed. I've been on as low as 10mg of prednisone every other day. But since Jan. I was in a middle of a flare with nephritis flare too and they started by increasing my prednisone to 60mg a day for one week, then I was on 40mg a day for 1 month and now I've been on 30mg since March. It does stink because I've gain weight and have been a little unhappy about that plus the moon face but I can't be too unhappy because I feel 100% better. I guess you have to weigh your odds. They will lower your dose depending on how the lupus starts to respond. I still have increased protein in my urine so that's why I'm still on increased prednisone. Between the cellcept and the prednisone I'm hoping it will start working soon so I can avoid another cycle of cytoxan. As for the olay lotion good for you! :lol: I've been using the jergens lotion with the tanner and it's working but slowly. My arms are taking it better than my legs. Not turning orange though thank goodness :D . I didn't get the olay because it looked more orange to me than the jergens and I didn't want to turn orange. Any orange problems for you???? Well glad it's working!

TracyDawn
06-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks Butterfly. Nope not orange at all. Just a nice golden like I would have years ago from sun exposure :) I can't do the others, especially jergens. So sensitive to things these days. O well, least I don't look too "white" anymore. ROFL Sorry but my dr cracked me up telling me she liked my whiteness. Hmmm maybe I've taken too many pain pills today, it would be great if they worked on the pain instead of making :shock:

SoleSinger
06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't understand... Why do they do 10mgs everyother day instead of 5mgs daily? (I'm on 5 daily) doesn't it equal the same thing???

TracyDawn
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
I honestly don't know what the difference is. But when she told me she was putting me on it to get this under control, she did give me the option of starting with around 60 and then slowly tapering down, or trying the 10 every other day indefinitely. I asked which she would choose if she were me and she said the 10 because she is really hoping that have the "maintenance" dose steady like that will control things. Other than that I don't know. Hopefully someone else will have an answer to that one cause I think I'd like to know myself. It's really hard to remember things lately, so having to think about what day I am on drives me a little crazy LOL