PDA

View Full Version : Lupus?

Lanimo
02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm a 26 year old female going through the diagnostic process. I recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy to test for celiac or bowl disorders. I am awaiting biopsy results. They did find a polyp.

My main symptoms that make me think lupus are my chronic cold hands and feet and "butterfly" rash on my face.
I also have digestive issues. I can't eat eggs or avacado without getting terrible stomach pain, but my egg allergy test came back negative. I often have this pain, and I now know its not an allergic reaction. I don't know what causes it. It happens with all foods now.
I also tend to run a low grade fever, and have issues with join pain and lower back pain.
I have anxiety/depression issues.
I might have a gluten intolerance. My gliadin antibody test iGg came back positive, but others were negative.
My sister has hashimotos and mother has positive market for autoimmune.

My current ANA came back as a "weak positive"
Does this sound like I should have further testing for lupus? What does weak positive mean?

Lanimo
02-22-2013, 01:26 AM
I forgot to mention mental fog... I forget a lot of things. I'm currently being treated for ADD. im also chronicly fatigued with insomnia. I also have dry eyes, to the point of stinging pain. Hope this helps.

ItsLupus2007
02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
The ANA is not specific to SLE but found in all autoimmune illnesses.There are reports of Celiacs testing positive for it and never going on to develop another Illness.

Presenting as a "weak positive" means that when they ran the test the numbers were low.Most Rheumys don't consider a low titer(which is the ratio they call it) to be a cause of alarm as it is often found in many people and they have NO AI and never go on to develop one.

I would find out if your Dr ran a panel for the autoantibodies SSA/SSB.SSA/SSB are Sjogren's Syndrome markers which presents with an almost identical set of complaints as SLE.

I am not saying you have this illness(Sjogren's-pronounced SHOW-GRINS)but it seems to be very present w/Celiac and with your complaint of the severe dry eyes needs to be ruled out.But the dry eyes could be a medication induced side effect that you are dealing with.Sjogren's presents as dry eye,mouth,joint issue,etc and the labs will show if you are positive for markers of the illness.

If that test has been done and was negative it might bear watching or see if the issues are side effects of your medications.

If your depression is not being treated or the right meds not found it can also cause the fatigue and pain.

It sounds like you need to have a very in depth talk with your dr to find out what testing has been done,if there is anything else he thinks it could be and what he feels like needs to be pursued at this point.I wish you luck and answers soon.

Be well.