PDA

View Full Version : 23 with my whole life ahead of me.. and scared.

Gemma.sarah
02-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Hello..
Im Gemma and im 23 from Perth Australia.
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Erythema Nodosum.. Initially the doctor told me it just happens to girls my age and sent me on my way..
Not being happy with the its ok you'll be fine attitude from my doctor i went for a second opinion..
My bloods were not right and this doctor ran more tests. Finally yesterday i was told i have Lupus.
I don't have many symptoms. I suffer from kidney infections often and blurry vision.
I just wanna know im not alone and that its not as bad as the internet has made it out to be.
Being so young im scared. I haven't had kids yet and i don't want to pass something horrible onto my kids when i do have them.
We have been looking back through our family history and noone we can think of has had lupus so im the first of many.
I haven't talked to anyone except family about it because i think its something i don't need to share.
My boyfriend thinks im being over the top about it all but not knowing what it can do to me is scary to me.
I feel better just saying all that..
Thanks for listening xxxx

Mica
02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Hello..
Im Gemma and im 23 from Perth Australia.
I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Erythema Nodosum.. Initially the doctor told me it just happens to girls my age and sent me on my way..
Not being happy with the its ok you'll be fine attitude from my doctor i went for a second opinion..
My bloods were not right and this doctor ran more tests. Finally yesterday i was told i have Lupus.
I don't have many symptoms. I suffer from kidney infections often and blurry vision.
I just wanna know im not alone and that its not as bad as the internet has made it out to be.
Being so young im scared. I haven't had kids yet and i don't want to pass something horrible onto my kids when i do have them.
We have been looking back through our family history and noone we can think of has had lupus so im the first of many.
I haven't talked to anyone except family about it because i think its something i don't need to share.
My boyfriend thinks im being over the top about it all but not knowing what it can do to me is scary to me.
I feel better just saying all that..
Thanks for listening xxxx

You are not being over the top, it's scary not knowing what is going to happen. Your scared of the unknown so it's okay to be scared.

Leaniebean
02-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Hey Gemma, yeah I agree with you completely it is scary but as far as your family history from what my Rheumy told me any sign of an AI disease would suffice, like an aunt who suffers from a thyroid condition it doesn't necessarily have to be lupus. He made it seem as though certain AI diseases depend on how your immune system takes to what's going on with your body.... Ours obviously didn't like what was going on my famil has a history of AI. My granny has Sarcadosis, aunt with thyroid disease, uncle with Chrones, me (mine still hasn't been official) and other things. It is scary not knowing what tomorrow may bring and as far as with kids it's a chance you will have to see with time if its worth it. The only thing that does help me is regardless of what goes on daily I still have to LiVE. I just am trying to find a way to do it and be happy with life. Good luck dear atleast we have all found a site we can come to and vent and be a support system

steve.b
02-13-2013, 11:35 PM
hi gemma, there are a few other people from perth on here.
i am in pinjarra. if you want to talk, send me a personal message.
also please read my profile page.......
so you can find out a little more about me.

again welcome.

Shine
02-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Hi Gemma...I was 24 when I was diagnosed with Lupus, now 26. It took a lot to get my head around it and still now it gets to me sometimes. The best thing is to take each day as it is..wake up and ask yourself "how do I feel today?" Then go with it. Don't try to predict your future and the course of the disease, because truth is we just don't know! Try your best to stay healthy. As for your ...my partner finds it hard to grasp sometimes too...encourage him to read up on it with you and learn about it as you do.
We're all here for you xx