PDA

View Full Version : Stay Safe

Nonna
02-08-2013, 10:07 PM
To all our friends in the northeast stay safe and warm.
Especially you Rob, looks like you're getting the worst.

steve.b
02-09-2013, 07:01 AM
i see the reports on the news.
it is summer in australia...
and we are currently battling 100 temperatures.
i feel for those of you being snow bound.

rob
02-09-2013, 07:58 AM
I just looked out into the driveway at my truck, and the snow is so deep and drifted that the only thing showing is the roof and a bit of the windows. It's still coming down hard, and the wind is between 50 and 70 miles per hour. Visibility is only about 50 feet-basically a total whiteout. The temperature is a sweltering 0 degrees. This is a huge storm, even by Maine standards. I'm surprised we still have power. (knock on wood)

But, since it is Maine, we're used to this sort of thing, and we're prepared. I got a new pair of snowshoes for Christmas, but we've had so little snow, I haven't been able to try them out yet. As soon as the wind dies down, I think I'll go for a little stroll.

Rob

debbie-b
02-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Hi Rob,

I hope that you don't loose power, that wouldn't be fun.
We only had a foot of snow, I love it.

Debbie

steve.b
02-09-2013, 08:46 AM
....... looked out into the driveway at my truck, and the snow is so deep and drifted that the only thing showing is the roof and a bit of the windows...............The temperature is a sweltering 0 degrees......

sounds tempting when compared to my sweltering 100.
but then i would probably complain about my raynauds.
better stick to my aircon.

be safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no strolling off of the path lol

ItsLupus2007
02-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes Be safe!!Dont lose a shoe!LOL!

I can't imagine being in a storm like that :) here everything goes nuts if they call for 2-3 inches,the grocery shelves get wiped and people act like we are in for the storm of the century.

BonusMom
02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
I just looked out into the driveway at my truck, and the snow is so deep and drifted that the only thing showing is the roof and a bit of the windows. It's still coming down hard, and the wind is between 50 and 70 miles per hour. Visibility is only about 50 feet-basically a total whiteout. The temperature is a sweltering 0 degrees. This is a huge storm, even by Maine standards. I'm surprised we still have power. (knock on wood)

But, since it is Maine, we're used to this sort of thing, and we're prepared. I got a new pair of snowshoes for Christmas, but we've had so little snow, I haven't been able to try them out yet. As soon as the wind dies down, I think I'll go for a little stroll.

Rob

Yikes!

I think I'll hang out here in NorCal where it's a "balmy" 58, with a "cut through you like a knife" breeze.

Just call me wimpy because you'd never find this gal snowshoeing in 0 degrees with 50 mph winds.

Hope you don't lose your power!

jmail
02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Don't forget now Steve, that the "0" (zero) that Rob mentions is in Fahrenheit, which would be about -18 Celsius (if I did my quick match correctly). Then there's the wind chill factor, or "feels like" temp with the wind at 50 would make it "feel like" it's about -30F... I gorfet how to do negative fahrenheit numbers to celsius... lol - 70mph winds are off of the NWS wind charts, btw... Too cold for me, even if I did have new snow shoes... I'm waiting me for some *baseball* weather!!!

rob
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Well, I can no longer see my truck, it's completely buried. I can't use the back door of my house as it's completely buried too. The side door isn't completely blocked, but if it doesn't stop snowing it will be. The official snow depth right now for my area is a little over 4 feet.

This is the biggest blizzard I've seen In the 7 years since I moved back to Maine. I just read that Portland broke the all-time snowfall record. They have about 3 1/2 feet. It's the deepest snow in recorded history.

Ought to be fun digging my way out in the morning.

ItsLupus2007
02-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Where are you going to go?Are you going to make tunnels in the yard like hamsters do in their cage? :)

Are things actually open or is it a complete shut down situation?I have never seen snow like that the most we have ever had here was about 12 inches and that was almost 20 yrs ago.It literally shut everything down for about 10 days.

rob
02-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Where are you going to go?Are you going to make tunnels in the yard like hamsters do in their cage? :)

Are things actually open or is it a complete shut down situation?I have never seen snow like that the most we have ever had here was about 12 inches and that was almost 20 yrs ago.It literally shut everything down for about 10 days.

Heck, this is Maine! Everything is open, nothing is shut down, and all the roads are already plowed.

Anyway, it's done snowing finally. My house is a split level, not quite a 2 story house. The snow is up to the windowsills of the higher level rooms, so I'm going to put on my snowshoes and climb out one of the windows. since all of the doors are totally blocked. I'll use a snow shovel to get to the side door of the shop/garage. Once in, I'll open one of the big roll-up doors, fire up the snowblower, and start cutting a path from there out to the road, and then to my truck. The thing is, the snow is twice as high as the mouth of the snowblower, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Never had to clear out snow this deep before.

My truck is a high clearance Toyota 4wd with a lift kit and oversized snow tires. If I can dig down to the driver side door, I can start it up and use it to push some of the snow aside to make it easier on the blower. After I get my place cleared out, I'm heading over to dig Mom's house out. She lives in town, and they got a little less snow than where I am. and, her driveway isn't very big, so it shouldn't take me too long to get her place cleared out.

Gonna be a long day.

Rob

Nonna
02-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Pace yourself, don't over do

steve.b
02-10-2013, 06:58 AM
........ My house is a split level, not quite a 2 story house. The snow is up to the windowsills of the higher level rooms, so I'm going to put on my snowshoes and climb out one of the windows........Rob

you need to get photos.....
so they can be uploaded once conrad has sorted out the problems !!!!!!!!

ItsLupus2007
02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Yes Photos Please!

Dont wear yourself out if you can help it.Like I said I haven't ever been in snow like that only seen in movies :)

BonusMom
02-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Sounds like this is going to be Rob's Excellent Snow Adventure!

Climbing out of windows, snowshoeing and trying to unbury your lifted truck sounds like a man's testosterone dream! Let me guess, Tim "The Toolman" Taylor inspired you to beef up the snowplow and put a turbo on it so you get this task done lickety split. I can just see you now.......hilarious!

And, as if you haven't been frozen already, you're going to tackle your mom's driveway? We'll I hope she's got a pot of soup on and some warm Snickerdoodles waiting for you!

Check in when you can so we know you made it out of the house safely (me envisioning a long drop out of the window and into several feet of the fluffy stuff!).....