PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid condition?

chikititalinda
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Great, this is what my copies of my labs read. "a low TSH with a normal FT4 and a normal FT# have been associated with subclinical Hyperthyroidism. Similar values have also been asoicated with Non_Thyroidal Illness in severly ill patients"

I don't have an apt with my Rheumy until the 20th, I've interpreted this as I may have hypo thyroid, what's scaring me is the"in severely ill patients' part? I know none of you are doctors but some of you have so much knowledge on interpreting these labs, can someone put my mind at ease please. I don't know much about thyroid issues to begin with.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

jmail
02-08-2013, 04:10 PM
A low TSH, with normal T3 & 4 might mean "hyper", not hypo, thyroid. With hypo, you'd usually have high TSH, and depressed T3 &/or 4 levels. Might be some "hot" spots on the thyroid generating some extra hormone for you, causing the levels. Then again, you might be "normal". Are there other tests on there in the panel they did, like Vitamin D level, lipids, levels of other hormones, etc? Are you currently on meds for hypothyroidism? When they say "severly ill" for thyroid, they usually are referring to a person with a "chronic" condition, that's been going on for a while. Things can get so out of whack, that some parts of the body "give-up" and some levels of some hormones will return to near-"normal" (such as TSH), though there will always be "clues" in other blood levels. Do you have a pcp, or endocrinologist you can forward the results to, consult with them? They could contact the rheumy, if they find something that needs attention. As far as I'm concerned, from what I experienced with my thyroid, it's important enough to dig further into. By the same token, the 20th is only 12 days away, and if you're not experiencing blood pressure or heart issues, like arythmia, or other worrisome (to you) symptoms, you'd probably be OK to wait. I am not a doctor though, so I'd at least call and ask one's office nurse.

tgal
02-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I know what i am about to say is hard to do but I am going to say it anyway because I learned the hard way. Jmail touched on it above but try not to isolate tests such as thyroid and make a diagnosis. When people like us (chronically ill) are in a bad place (even when we don't know it) it is a combination of tests that tell the story not just one. Sometimes tests like thyroid get thrown off because something else in the body isn't working properly. The person ready the labs don't know that. They just put down the main cause as a warning to the doc. I dealt with this on blood work with my daughter. Turned out to be something very small.

If the rhumey is the one that ordered the bloodwork try calling and getting on the cancellation list. It might get you in sooner. If you have to wait the. Try to remember that sometimes one thing goes off because of other things and it is not what it appears. I will keep my fingers crossed!

steve.b
02-09-2013, 06:49 AM
think about what you have been through since you became a member here.

from the little i know about the thyroid system,
you probably have had this issue for a couple of years.
the lab tech knows this and calls it (Non_Thyroidal Illness in severly ill patients)

read the first 3 words again....... "non thyroidal illness"
do not worry about the second 3 words........ it is there way of saying it has been going on for years.

think about how many other people here complain about here thyroid levels.
it is not anything out of the ordinary for a lupus patient.

it is just new to you.
dont let the words scare you more than the facts.

ItsLupus2007
02-09-2013, 10:13 AM
The way I would read it according to what was read is kind of how Steve.b does that this often presents ill patients and is referred to as NonThyroidal Illness.

I have had mine go way out of whack and then retest it again when I wasnt so ill SLE wise and it was back on track.

Perhaps call a day or so before your appt and ask the Rheumy if they can do the test again so they can have the most current lab at your appt for comparison?That might work to alleviate your mind instead of having to possibly go for labs again after appt and ending up with more questions if things have not settled back down.

That might help bring you more peace of mind.

doublecamp52
02-09-2013, 06:48 PM
I had my thyroid removed in 2010. I can honestly say that my lupus has been far worse since it was removed. Mine was removed because it was so huge I could not swallow. My blood results were showing it to be precancerous. Thank God it wasn't. Thyroid levels will definately make you feel like death warmed over. My levels will never be right again.

Nonna
02-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Doublecamp is right about the levels. Thyroid levels and tests are difficult to interrupt. The lab has standard notes they add. That doesn't mean it pertains to you. I've been dealing with these tests for over thirty years. Call the office and ask. Don't put yourself in extremis over what could be nothing.

Even regular doctors can misinterpret these tests. Call an endocrinologist who really understands them.

May good thoughts and God's love flow

chikititalinda
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks to all the replies, I think I'm going to have to add another doctor to the list "endocrinologist" I wounded up in the ER, with Heart rate of 140, I have a small pericardial effusion which of course didn't worry the ER Doctors!!!!, I decided to go to a different hospital other than the one I usually go to because I thought they may be better. They were bigger and nice but I'm not sure about better. I'm still waiting for them to tell me about my "thyroid results" and I've been home two days now. They were more concerned with me having a blood clot. My cardiologist is puzzled, he doesn't know whats causing this, of course I forgot to mention the thyroid test to him. I'm home from work trying to get some rest for the next ten days. I am following up with my Rheumy on the 20th thought so we'll see what she has to say about this entire situation. Im exhausted and full of pain! Oh lupus how I HATE YOU!