PDA

View Full Version : New to Lupus..

Kjell
02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm very happy I found this Forum. It's been so nice to read that others are going through some similar issues. I was starting to think I had hypochondria.. I was just Diagnosed with Lupus a month ago. I'm still a bit in denial about the whole thing. Honestly, I was kinda sick for the last year, then all of a sudden I was really sick.. Got a bad sinus infection, then 1 sickness after another over the last couple of months. I've had this awful rash, on my legs face, chest, well all over actually and thought it was because of Asthma inhalers. I was just diagnosed last year with Asthma too. Even though I've never had breathing issues til then. Unfortunately, they can't seem to get that under control so that's been a huge problem as well. My Asthma Dr did suggested I get the rash biopsied so that was helpful. That came back positive for Lupus, then on to the Rumatologist Dr with lots of labs. I swear, I was healthy active 40 year old.. Now I'm a 42 year old trapped in an 80 year old body. Sigh. Just started the Plaquenil and some steroid creams about 2 weeks ago. No idea how long time I feel better. I had a little break down this morning when I woke up tired after sleeping 10 hours?? I miss my old self. Not handling all these changes to good. Well, not today anyway. I'm usually a very optimistic person. Guess this is just bringing me down a bit..

steve.b
02-08-2013, 12:51 AM
hi kjell,
welcome to hypochondriacs annonomous.

we all have felt or been told it is all in our heads.
at least you have found a doctor who is taking you seriously.
unfortunatelly it can take up to 6 months for plaquenil to take full effect.
it slowely builds up in your system... and slowely effects our bodies.

hope it works quicker not slower for you.

ItsLupus2007
02-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi Kjelland welcome!

I like hypochondriacs anonymous...can you imagine going up to someone and them saying "oh what's wrong with you?" and you reply "Me?I have HA" it would sound like trying to hack up a hairball :) sorry that just struck me as wildly funny

I am so glad you have found answers as hard as they may be.It is tough to adjust to a new normal especially when you are made to do and it is not chosen.We are all here.

Again Welcome (HA :):))

jmail
02-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Hey there Kjell, and welcome to WHL! I've had rashes... I also know what "pruritic" means from those experiences. Ah, the joy of steroid creams with menthol... I was about 8 weeks with my last bad rash, missed almost 6 weeks of work, and I'm still a bit "puny" in the lungs, but getting better everyday. I'll bet if you get the lupus under better control, your lungs will improve. do they have you on a daily inhaler, like a symbicort?

tgal
02-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi and welcome to the WHL family! I have been lucky and not had to deal with the rashes since the plaquenil took effect (about 5 months after starting it).

You read above about "the new normal". You will hear that often. Don't worry, being sick every day and being covered in rashes most likely won't be a part of it but life will be a bit different. You will learn the things that make you feel worse and learn o avoid those. Life may have to be different then you imagined it but it can still be good! We will be here for you as you travel down this road. We are here to help!

Kjell
02-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Thank you. I'm feeling a little better today. Had my follow up app with my endocrine Dr and he was very helpful and said the Ruematologist Dr I'm now seeing is very good. I really just need to take this 1 day at a time til I get a better idea what to expect.. Thanks again for the replies.