PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Obstruction

thunter
06-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone,
I just recently discovered this site - what a great place! There is no local support group in my area (at least not that i have been able to find) so this site is a great resource for me.

I have recently (within the last month) been diagnosed w/lupus.
I have been sick for almost 2 years & my doctors were concerned about multiple illnesses but none of them ever addressed lupus. Finally out of sheer desperation I requested to be tested and my tests were positive.

This past Friday I was overcome with extreme pains in my left side & into my back. I went to the E.R. and it was discovered that I have a stone obstructing my kidney. The stone is too close to my kidney to be removed & so a stent was surgically implanted & hopefully this will help with the obstruction. :shock:

My question is: do you think this could be related to my lupus?
My urologist doesn't seem to think so but the E.R. doctor was concerned that it could be related. Just curious what you guys think.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post & respond. :P

Saysusie
06-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Thunter :lol:
The exact cause of kidney Stones is unknown. However, a person with a family history of kidney stones may be more likely to develop stones. Urinary tract infections, kidney disorders such as cystic kidney diseases, and metabolic disorders such as hyperparathyroidism may also cause kidney stones. Kidney stones are not generally associated with Lupus or Lupus Nephritis (When autoantibodies become lodged in kidney tissues the kidney can become inflamed and damaged. Up to fifty percent of patients with SLE experience this condition, called lupus nephritis. "Nephritis" is the term used to describe inflammation of the kidney), but that does not mean that it cannot happen. Serious kidney invovlment in Lupus is generally in the form of Lupus nephritis (or lupus glomerulonephritis). It is important to recognize that not all kidney problems in people with lupus are due to lupus nephritis. Infections of the urinary tract, with burning on urination, are quite common in people with lupus and require antibiotic treatment. Also, signs or symptoms of kidney disease that can be confused with lupus nephritis may be caused by some medications used in lupus treatment.
Here is some general information about Kidney Stones:
"The medical term for kidney stones is nephrolithiasis. The actual stone is referred to as a calculus or calculi (plural). There are many different types of calculi, however the majority (75%) are composed of calcium. Kidney stones can occur in any place along the urinary tract and lead to symptomatic pain, also known as renal colic. Depending on the type of stone, the specific pathogenesis may vary. For example, a uric acid stone is the result of increased urine acidity which crystallizes undissociated uric acid, while magnesium ammonium phosphate calculi indicate a urinary tract infection caused by a specific type of bacteria. However, a common feature is that the urine contains a high amount of specific salts that allow stones to form. As well, patients often have abnormalities of crystal growth inhibitors (pyrophosphate, citrate, and glycosaminoglycans) and preformed nuclei for the stones to form. It can be said that a variety of factors must be present for calculi to form. Patients can have urine saturated with the aforementioned salts, but not result in stone formation.
The types of kidney stones can be divided into four main categories: calcium-containing stones, triple or struvite stones (magnesium ammonium phospahate), uric acid stones and cystine stones. Calcium containing stones, as mentioned above, account for the vast majority of cases. Most of these stones are made up of calcium oxalate and are due to increased calcium in the urine. Fifty percent of these patients have idiopathic hypercalcuria, which refers to an abnormally high amount of calcium in the urine. This condition is hereditary, and far more common in women.
Hyperoxaluria, or high oxalates in the urine, is responsible for about five percent, of calcium oxalate stones. This is largely due to disorders of the digestive tract, which allow excess oxalate absorption, or by consuming massive amounts of oxalate containing foods such as rhubarb, spinach, or nuts. A few of these patients have a primary/underlying disorder that directly leads to hyperoxaluria.
Patients with kidney stones generally present pain in the mid to low back, which can be due to a blockage in the renal system caused by a kidney stone. This pain has a particular pattern and is referred to as renal colic. The lining of the ureter (the tube that connects the kidney to the bladder) is irritated causing increased frequency and force of peristaltic movement of urine, which results in the colicky pain seen in these patients. Typically, a patient will experience episodes of intermittent extreme pain across the flank region, which may extend across the abdomen. Depending on where the stone has lodged, there may be pain very low in the abdomen, or just above the pubic bone if a stone has reached the bladder.
Blood in the urine (hematuria) can be a sign of kidney stones. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, distention of the abdomen, chills, fever, and polyuria (frequent urination). A patient can also appear very agitated due to the colicky pattern of pain."

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie