PDA

View Full Version : Prednisolone adapting

hating_that_pred
02-01-2013, 02:24 AM
G'day guys now that im down to 4 mg of steroids im going through my normal routine of tapering and feeling like plop to be completely honest haha. I always feel really good after ive adjusted to a lower amount about 12-14 days after starting my tapering process.

Just thought i'd ask how long it normally takes others to adjust to a lower amount of steroids?

Cheers guys =]

ItsLupus2007
02-01-2013, 06:27 AM
It usually takes me about 7-10 days to adjust and begin to kind of get that "new normal" feeling.You know just in time for the Dr to say "Ok drop again :)"

I am like you feel like cr*p and think I want down but I hate this!!

I am a steroid therapy patient since 2007-dosing anywhere from 60mgs per day to 7.5.I have never been able to go lower than 7.5mgs since starting in spite of adding other meds(Imuran,Arava,MTX)I am currently on MTX and at 7.5.

jmail
02-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Ditto. I'm stuck on 10 a day - again, and feel like I need more. 'Course, that goes with the territory too.

Cuphalfful
02-03-2013, 08:49 AM
In order for me to go below 10, I have to go in ridiculously slow increments. (I actually thought i would never get below 8 for a while). Talk to your Rhem about your slow taper options, but for me, this is what worked:
I got 1mg tabs and cut in half w pill cutter. I went down 1/2 mg at a time with alternating days for a week. For example, if I was on 10mg, I would alternate 10 with 9.5 for a week. Then do 7-10days of 9.5. If I felt good, I would start alternating 9.5 and 9 etc.

The key to this is patience and listen to your body. If I wasn't feeling adjusted, was stressed/ tired or had symptoms, I would stay with whatever level I was at for longer. This may sound crazy slow for some but it's what I had to do. A slightly faster taper earlier put me into flare and I had to bump up my pred significantly. I didn't want that to happen again.

This is what worked for me, BUT please talk to your Rhem before any medication changes. My doc would have been ok to keep me on pred, but listened to my request and agreed to my plan (as long as I didn't increase symptoms and my labs stayed ok.). Do NOT change pred dose without your Dr, can be very dangerous to your health.

Good luck!

hating_that_pred
02-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Cheers for the experience and advice. Much appreciated and very helpful.