PDA

View Full Version : IUD/Birth Control help

NurseSusan
01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Hey girls!
I need some help. I am very new to this but am being diagnosed with SLE and possible other AI disease, but my rheumy said I need an IUD ASAP.
I am getting married in a couple of months (We aren't currently having sex) but she said she hesitates putting me on medications that could cause harm to a fetus until I get on a more reliable BC plan.
I currently take oral BC pills and have for the past ten years (I have ovarian cysts and it supposedly makes them better). But the rheumy said that it increases my chances of getting blood clots.
So, she said I need an IUD and suggests to also use condoms during sex.
I know there are two types of IUD's... the Mirena and the Copper-7.
The Mirena has low amounts of progesterone in it. The Copper-7 does not have hormones.
Obviously, it sounds like the Copper would be the way to go since she is worried about the hormones.
But, I spoke with my hairdresser today (Who also has SLE) and she said she has the Mirena and hasn't had any problem.
The Mirena, I can get inserted before the wedding and they allow for payment plans.
The Copper-7, however, has to be paid for upfront and I can't get it until May (weeks after our wedding)
I'm not sure which way to go. The Mirena is over 1,000 dollars. The Copper-7 is 900.
Any ladies been through this issue?
Thanks!
Susan

Nonna
01-31-2013, 08:41 PM
I had IUDs many years ago, when I could no longer take the pill. Everything has good and bad effects and they are different for each person. I think I had the copper 7, but as I said it was many years ago. Befor my son was born and he is now 35.

Good Luck in whatever you decide

tgal
01-31-2013, 09:40 PM
I am not going to be of any help because it has been 25 years since I had one as well. It was long before Anyone said the "L" word and I don't remember much about it.

good luck though!

NurseSusan
02-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Ok, so after speaking with many doctors again, they all agree that Paraguard (What they call the copper iud now) is the best option for my health. It is a lot harder to find an ob/gyn that will use them, since everyone uses Mirena instead, but I have found one that can do it before my wedding :)
Of course I still have to pay the 900, but I think it will be worth it just having the peace of mind that
1) If I get a blood clot, it won't be because of anything I have done to myself, and
2) that it is highly unlikely I will get pregnant, and therefore don't have to worry about the risks of pregnancy until I decide I do or don't want to have children of my own.
Thanks for the time and input, though!