PDA

View Full Version : Lupus, IBS, AND Ulcerative Colitis... and in College.

freshsnow
01-30-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm a 20 year old college student living over 2000 miles away from home. Last week I was finally diagnosed with Lupus on top of my IBS and Ulcerative Colitis diagnosis that came last year. (Yes, it is possible to have both IBS and IBD. Trust me, this is not fun as they work against each other constantly) I started plaquenil and prednisone, but almost immediately was in the emergency room for an ulcerative colitis attack.

I guess I came to the forum to see if other people had Lupus with GI problems. I've been in the ER 9 times in 3 years, and finally doctors are beginning to understand and believe that I really am sick. My ANA levels have fluxuated between positive and negative, but I always always have elevated white blood cell counts. Fatigue and cognitive dysfunction were my other big factors. All of this happening and I have to navigate a full load of classes and living on my own.

steve.b
01-31-2013, 06:37 AM
hi freshsnow,
i noticed in your other post.... that your mother also has lupus.

can she be of support to you?
i know how hard it can be to be so far from home...
i joined the airforce at 19 and also moved to the otherside of the country (australia).

we are a very supportive forum, so you are amongst friends here.
and yes may of us have gi issues.
probably over 1/2 of us have experienced it, in some form.
please use the search feature, to look at a few of the older posts about gi.

again welcome

tgal
01-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Hi and welcome to WHL!

Many people with Lupus also have GI issues and many of us have other AI diseases. It is what we refer to as overlapping diseases. It is not uncommon. As for your ANA fluctuating. That too is a common thing. Some doctors will stop doing the ANA test after a positive reading (with hight titer count) because they know it will fluctuate and they see it as a waste of time. What you are going through is very normal although very painful and frustrating when dealing with people and doctors that don't understand.

Please make yourself at home. I look forward to getting to know you and I am glad to have you as part of our WHL family

ritzbit2
02-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Hi I too am 20 in college and have stomach problems. I have had stomach issues that were blown off my whole life until recently. Even with all my dx's my docs wouldn't look into it more. I'm being tested for Celiacs right now. Trying to keep up with classes is an absolute nightmare sometimes when you're sick, but make sure you register with disability services on campus if you haven't already. They can be a huge help to you when you're sick. They'll help with professors if they aren't being reasonably helpful to you while you're sick. Good luck!

jmail
02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi freshsnow, and welcome to WHL!