PDA

View Full Version : No good deed goes unpunished

ruziska
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Montana got hit with "Winter Storm Gandolf" (hey, I don't make those names up) yesterday. I got home from work before hubby did so I thought I'd be nice and shovel the driveway before I pulled in. Get some exercise, burn a few calories, do something nice for the hubby....
Shoveling went well. Hubby was thrilled. Not 5 minutes after I get inside and I start coughing. and wheezing. and coughing. and wheezing and wheezing and wheezing. Wheezing so loud that hubby can hear me on the other side of the room with the tv on. It went on the better part of the night. Hubby informs me that I should take the next day off, take care of myself and go see the doctor. Well I have payroll and I'm the only one qualified to handle it. So I go to work. And I start coughing. and wheezing. Boss tells me to leave. I tell him I have payroll. He tells me they'll muddle through it. FINE. I'll go to the doctor BUT I'M COMING BACK!! I threaten. And so I did. And the diagnosis is... drumroll please.... ASTHMA! So a breathing treatment, dose pack of steroids and an inhaler later and yes, I went back to work and yes, I did payroll. Asthma. Next stop pulmonologist. Happy joy.

jmail
01-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Gandolph... So is that "Son of Gandolf" that's bearing down on Central US of A now?...

The asthma is what helped with my lupus diagnosis. The pulmonologist thought I'd had asthma all my life when he first saw me... It wouldn't surprise me if lupus didn't contribute to it for you also. Now for a word of advice from an old man... don't take the asthma lightly. I almost died from it. Wasn't feeling good, tough time breathing, got a head cold, and whammo!, had to mark off sick from work, missed a few days, and thought I'd "doctor" myself. I ended up admitted thru the er a few days later with what they called an "asthma exascerbation". (Have I mentioned lately how much I detest hospitals?...) You have to have an "action plan". You might want to ask the pulmonologist about it. 'Course, they'll probably do a breathing function test on you, to see how much obstruction you might have in the lungs and/or bronchi, decide how to treat you in the future. Good luck with the new doc, ruziska. Oh, btw, it's not so much the cold, or the warm, that makes you cough, it's the sudden change of going from inside to outside, hot to cold, dry to damp, etc. Do showers affect your breathing? Start thinking about things like that for when you visit the breathing doc...

rob
01-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Well, at least you got hit by the good wizard. It could have been winter storm Saruman...

I don't have asthma, but what Rick says about the sudden change in temperature and humidity is right. I snowblow my driveway as well as my Mom's. Mom's takes 1 hour and my driveway takes 3 to clear, and as soon as I'm done and come inside, it's instant congestion and coughing. It's a good way to kick off a bout of inflammatory rib/chest problems like pleurisy and costochondritis.

Hope you get the asthma under control.

Rob

jmail
01-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah Rob, you're correct "Gandolf" is a balmy 54 degrees fahrenheit, while Saruman would be the "Clipper" from the great North, coming in a -12... and snow, not rain. 'Course, the Ents have a treat for him...

We shall let the ring bearer decide...

ruziska
01-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Hey! I didn't name the storm! I was enjoying the warm weather we had the day before the storm hit.

Derrie
01-12-2013, 04:37 PM
I miss that warm weather. Those balmy temperatures in the high 30s. I've been outside once today to walk my dog, and I lost feeling in my face!

The snow sure is pretty, though. Can't beat Montana for pretty.

jmail
01-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Oh yeah, Big Sky country... We've vacationed in/thru Montana 3 times now, but haven't made it to Glacier yet.

ruziska, isn't that the weather channel (TWC), and not the national weather service, that's naming the storms, so it's not *really* "official?... I mean, how many weather systems are moving across this country at any one given time, ya know?