PDA

View Full Version : New to site

norsemanz
01-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Hi,
My names Mike and this is my first visit to this site. I live in Tampa Fl and I was DX'd positive Lupus Xmas 2010, though I believe I've suffered the symptoms for at least 4 yrs. Long story short they confused the pain I was suffering as being related to a couple bad accidents (motorcycle 70 mph head on) I was victim of yrs earlier and doctors always assumed I should have "residual chronic pain" from the broken bones and the 12 resulting surgeries to repair me. However as you all know there's a difference between chronic pain and a worsening condition and when the severe pains finally spread to my feet (an area never injured) than they finally went to work did the ANA's and C serums and discovered the Lupus condition. Like I said that was 2 yrs ago and over this time I've learned quite a bit through research on the web but being the hardheaded male from Viking bloodline I just naturally handled the DX like most problems that arise in life,, Nothing I cant handle by myself. I say by myself as I'm a widower at 55 yrs old and the kids have graduated and out on their own so now I handle most things on my own terms! However the thing I find is a valuable asset is the knowledge and encouragement I've gotten from another closed group of Lupus sufferers (Lighthouse for Lupus) and I've made the decision to become more involved with other support groups as theres always strength and knowledge in numbers! So hello to you all and I look forward to the sharing of knowledge and support.

steve.b
01-01-2013, 08:23 PM
hi mike and welcome.

there are a few other males that are active on here.
it will be good to get to know you, through the forum.

you may want to get to know one of the moderators, rob.
he is training to be a drag car driver.

again welcome.

jolynnhughes
01-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi Mike! We are happy to have you. I hope, as I have, that you find comfort and support from all who frequent this forum. Happy New Year!

SleepyInSeattle
01-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here....

fhallock
01-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Good to see you Mike, this is a place where you will find good support.

rob
01-02-2013, 09:56 PM
you may want to get to know one of the moderators, rob.
he is training to be a drag car driver.

The car has been gathering dust out in the shop for over a year now. Last year's events brought the whole project to a halt.

Perhaps this summer, I'll get back to working on getting my license, and getting myself and the car competetive. I have all the
gear I need, I just need to get my head in the right place again, and find a new crew chief/mechanic.

rob
01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Hello Mike,

Welcome to our group!

Please make yourself at home.

Rob

n.mac
01-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Hello Mike

Welcome to the group!

Niall

tgal
01-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Just wanted to pop in and welcome you to the WHL family! Please make yourself at home and I really am looking forward to getting to know you better

norsemanz
01-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Hello Mike,

Welcome to our group!

Please make yourself at home.

Rob

Hi Rob
So nice to get to meet another gearhead but so sorry that you prolly suffer the same pains and in fact it's the worsening of my health that forced me to downsize my life and end what was supposed to be my grand finale project car. Over the yrs (Im 56 now & started wrenching @ 13)) I'd built so many street racing 1/4 mile cars it was hard to remember them all but it all started in 71 when I built my 1st a 389 tri power 65 Goat w/ a t-10 four speed and 3:73 Gears. Man was I the coolest @ 16yrs old! I'd been working 2 yrs as a mechanic @ a Chicago Mobil gas station, so I could afford it but that was the nugget that made me a gearhead forever! But I always also liked Trans Am cars and Can Am was super cool but the cars I built were always street rods, However in 89 I attended my 1st real road race with Grand American Series Lemans racecars.The prototype Class Porsche 936's, V-12 Jaguars, Nissans twin turbo V-6's But what iced it for me was seeing Dan Gurneys All American Racers Toyota racing eagles cars that were poered by these tiny 4 cylinder motors making 900 horsepower and that was tuned down to last for the 6 hour race! I was hooked on road racing and had to have one so I built a scca spec 1975 Nissan 280Z I'll include a pic or two. Anyway after I owned that for about 10 yrs I started longing to build one last super street machine, utilizing everything I'd learned over the last 30 yrs. And then while on a weekend getaway in Daytona I stumbled across the car for my last project. A car that was small, nimble, could be fit with a 350-400HP V6 up front without killin the handling, Something that could do a 11 sec ET yet still surprise the crap out of a Porsche 911 or Vette and still retain sleeper status. It was a cherry 75 Chevette. So I Built a 6 point cage on a square tube chassis fitted it with a 3.8 GM V6 with a Tremec 5 and Modified a 8.5" S10 posi w/ Disc Rear Brakes. was really startin to take shape when @ Xmas 2010 I DX'd for Lupus! I knew at that point after watchin my wife pass a cple yrs earlier I had to prioritize cause at that time I was uninsured and knew life wasnt gonna get less expensive so I decided to sell Toys and the project had to go:-( Anyway life goes on and maybe someday I'll get ahead of the disease and with enough pain relief maybe I'll get back in the hot rodding state of mind again but for now I'm content to watch others pour money into racing and I watch.
So what kind of Race Car do you own . Iheard your into Drag racing and are working on a license so obviously it's an NHRA/IHRA class car/dragster. What is the Class and what car do you have . You can elaborate and send pics ,I'm a true gearhead so I love all the details. How old are you and how long have you been racing?
Well I wanted to attach a couple pics but forgot the uploader on this sites broke so perhaps I'll send some when it's fixed.
Anyway it's nice meeting you tho it sucks meeting on a site cause we share the same freakin disease . Meetin at the Strip and checkin your drag car would be cooler. Thats how I met Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins @ Union Grove. in Wisconsin. It's back when he still drove and he was packin his chute and I just started chattin with him (helps that I was building a 331C.I. Vega for the street at that time) and he seemed impressed. He was always one of my Idols along with Warren Johnson. You might be figuring it out I'm a chevy guy. Cant wait to hear about your racecar! Sorry to go on so long
Mike

n.mac
01-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Hello Mike
Just curious- what part of Chicago are you from?
I grew up in Elmhurst and now live in Frankfort but my wife is a true Chicago girl from Bridgeport.

Did you ever make it out to Santa fee Speedway?
When I was in high school back in the late '70s I spent alot of time working on old junkers so we could
race them in the Santa fe Spectator demolition derby- never lasted long but was a lot of fun!
My greatest sucess was a '73 plymouth fury III.-that car was built like a tank!
Niall

norsemanz
02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Hi Niall
Sorry bout the delay as I have been very busy like all the rest of us, w/ doctors and the day to day stuff. Originally was born in the city right by Armitage and Central Park. The closest landmarks would be Mozart Park and a lil further from the house (just a short ride on the back bumper of the city bus) wus Humbolt Park Armory. When I hit 5th grade we moved to the burbs Lombard and that where I completed high school. After that I went all over the Country havin fun! Yes I spent alot of Saturday nites w/ friends @ Santa Fe. But I did alot more race spectating at Union Grove, US30 and Oswego Dragstrips. At that point in time I was way more into drag cars although I worked for a guy in Villa Park Illinois who was making a name for himself in Nascar during the 70' Bobby Wawack. I wish then I had involved myself in paying a lot more attention to what nascar was evlving into as it would have been a smart business move back then.
Nice chattin
Mike

ItsLupus2007
02-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Hi Mike And Welcome!