PDA

View Full Version : Imuran w/o organ involvement anyone?

debann
06-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi, I've been reading posts for awhile and just joined. I've had lupus for many years but was just diagnosed a year ago. I'll post on the new members area soon.
Are any of you taking Imuran or another immune suppressant without having organ involvement? It seems to be my choice whether I want to try it or not. I would love to improve but wonder if the side effects are worth it? I'm on 6 -8 mg. pred and 400 plaquenil now and have seen improvement but still am so exhausted, in pain and lack the energy and stamina to do anything physical for more than 15 min. I know you can't give me medical advise. I'd just like to hear from anyone about this. Thanks in advance....debann

Morpheus
06-19-2006, 04:30 AM
hi debann,
I've been on imuran for nearly 5 years now(i think!!) more or less.

I've had no organ involvement directly related to imuran.
b4, my kidneys were a bit damaged anyway :(

Saysusie
06-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi Debann;
You are probably on Imuran so that you will not need to use a higher dosage of steroids. Imuran is one of the steroid sparing drungs. Steroids used alone to treat lupus must sometimes be given in high doses. This increases the risk of short-term and long-term side effects, which may sometimes be worse than the disease itself. Immunosuppressive drug, such ans Imuran, can be used either in addition to, or instead of, steroids to spare you some of the undesirable side effects of steroid therapy.

Although immunosuppressive drugs can have serious side effects, they can be of great value in the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). They may help to:
prolong life
preserve kidney function
reduce disease symptoms
reduce damage to vital organs, such as the kidneys and lungs.
sometimes even serve to put the disease into remission.
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie