PDA

View Full Version : New member

sfruth
12-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Hi! My name is Ruth and I was diagnosed in August. I'm 63 years old and am a nurse. My symptoms started 2 years ago after contracting a diarrheal illness (probably norovirus) on a cruise. Initial symptom was swollen hands, and Raynaud's emerged the next winter. A change in my work hours and job duties led to lack of sleep and increased stress, and a real exacerbation of my symptoms. In June, my ANA came back 1:1260, and I was referred to a rheumatologist. Of the other diagnostic lab tests, only the anti-DNA DS was slightly positive. I am treated with naproxen and plaquenil, and have had a real reduction in the hand swelling over 4 months. There are erosive changes to several joints in my hands. I have only had a mild sun rash in my neck once this summer, when I didn't wear a hat at mid day doing yard work. No butterfly rash.

All in all, I'm pretty fortunate that I have little discomfort, and am able to work. I am seeking a Reasonable Accommodation by reassignment under the ADA, and will probably get it. (I have worked night shifts for 33 years, and can't sleep normal hours reliably. SO I need permanent night shifts.)

Ruth

tgal
12-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi Ruth. Welcome to the WHL family. Please make yoursf at home and I look forward to getting to know yiu

jmail
12-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi Ruth, and welcome to WHL from here also! My mil's name is Ruth also, and is a retired rn. She did oncology, home health, er, private practice, etc., a little bit of everything.

fhallock
12-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I am happy to welcome a new member to WHL. I am new here as well.