PDA

View Full Version : Diet/supplement question

Sheryl
06-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I noticed some discussion in an older thread about Flax seed and omega-3 oils. (I think it was Hatlady? Can't find the thread now, sorry).

I was wondering what anyone knows about this or has tried?

I have read that they are good for immune system support, but I wonder if that is contradictory for lupus, because we don't WANT to make our immune system more active, we want to calm it?

Just curious!

Razzleberry
06-17-2006, 07:37 AM
My rheumatologist suggested I add Fish oil and Flax seed oil supplements and I have. I'm just newly diagnosed so haven't been doing it long enough to see a difference. He said there is "some" evidence to suggest they are both helpful. That is of course in addition to the normal meeds of prednisone and plaquenil.

Sheryl
06-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Interesting - thanks. My accupuncturist suggested it, but I forgot to ask the rheum. if it would be ok. I think I will try it. I bought a bag of flax seeds but I'n not sure what to do with them. They are sort of crunchy but small and hard to eat as a snack, I tried putting some on my salad, that sort of worked.

ButterflyRN
06-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Omega 3's help to reduce inflammation. Flaxseed helps with high blood pressure and heart disease. I've posted a website in the website section of the forum index and it talks about both and how omega 3's are used for lupus and gout. Hope this helps :lol:

Razzleberry
06-17-2006, 07:54 AM
You can get flax seed capsules ...much easier to take than the granular stuff.

Sheryl
06-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Omega 3's help to reduce inflammation. Flaxseed helps with high blood pressure and heart disease. I've posted a website in the website section of the forum index and it talks about both and how omega 3's are used for lupus and gout. Hope this helps :lol:

Thanks! I will take a look at it. I haven't browsed that section of the site yet!