PDA

View Full Version : sun protective clothing? I would like anyone take on this

pinkjmf
06-13-2006, 07:49 PM
I have looked up on the internet for such clothing but it is so expensive.I didn't want to buy anything like that unless it is going to be helpful.I seem to get really bad pains when I'm in the sun.I live in Texas,so there is not a choice unless I stay in the house all the time.

Saysusie
06-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Yes, the clothes are very expensive. I don't know if it is because the manufacturer is trying to exploit our illness and our need to avoid the sun or if the materials and manufacturing of the clothes is an expensive process.
I wear light weight cotton during the summer months and always a hat and sunglasses. Of course, I slather my body with sunscreen first.
I purchase men's summer shirts made of lightweight material and I wear these shirts over everything. Because they are so large, the breeze blows right through them and, because they are so light, I don't get overheated.
I wear long, flowing skirts and/or lightweight wide-legged pants and I have hats in every color imaginable. My summer clothes are very full and flowing, but I am generally covered from head to toe.
I don't think that you have to purchase the expensive clothing in order to stay covered and also stay cool. My doctor told me to think of the people who live in the desert..they are covered in layered clothing that is loose and flowing. Doing so actually keeps them cooler than wearing shorts and tank tops because the clothing itself causes a draft, protects them from the sun and reflects the heat!!
Start your own fashion trend! Be creative while protecting yourself!!
Best of Luck
Saysusie

Ariel
06-16-2006, 09:44 AM
I love the Coolibar stuff. I have a big men's shirt of theirs that I throw over what I'm wearing, several of the headwrap scarves and some big shawl-type wraps to throw over my arms.

I also have some stuff from Sun Precautions but I like the Coolibar better.

I have swim stuff from StingRay which is factor 50.

pinkjmf
06-16-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for giving me some good ideas.I'll look for some.Can you find these things on-line.

ButterflyRN
06-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Check out your local sporting goods stores too... they usually sell items from Cloumbia.

Ariel
06-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Coolibar is at http://coolibar.com/

Razzleberry
06-19-2006, 06:29 AM
I just ordered a pair of pants from Coolibar and I'm excited about getting them. This forum is a good source of information. If I hadn't read about it here I never would have found Coolibar :-)

ihate2shave
06-28-2006, 06:42 AM
I haven't used this but just found it on-line... Rit Sunguard. They make the clothing dyes you can use at home. The sunguard is new I think, it sells in some drug stores but if you can't find it locally look for it online. It's a few dollars, and you can wash it into your clothes to make them SPF 30. Lasts 20 washes, then you reapply. Way cheaper than buying pre-treated clothes, and you can do every article you have!

SoCal is like Texas - the sun is inescapable. I've had symptoms continuously since dx, one long flare, and it's finally struck me that while I slather on the sunblock on face and hands, the sun is getting through my clothing. I'm trying this Sunguard.

Ariel
07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
I haven't used this but just found it on-line... Rit Sunguard. They make the clothing dyes you can use at home. The sunguard is new I think, it sells in some drug stores but if you can't find it locally look for it online. It's a few dollars, and you can wash it into your clothes to make them SPF 30. Lasts 20 washes, then you reapply. Way cheaper than buying pre-treated clothes, and you can do every article you have!

SoCal is like Texas - the sun is inescapable. I've had symptoms continuously since dx, one long flare, and it's finally struck me that while I slather on the sunblock on face and hands, the sun is getting through my clothing. I'm trying this Sunguard.

A good thing to do is sunscreen before you put on your clothes! That's why I like sunscreen sprays - it's easy to get all over. Keep in mind that the average white cotton t-shirt is factor 5. That's right - five.