PDA

View Full Version : How often for "short burst" steroids?

SleepyInSeattle
11-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Hello all! I hope this post finds you well and happy, and enjoying the holiday season.

I have been doing relatively well on my Mtx and Plaq until about a month ago, when I had a really nasty flare. It didn't last long - just about 4 days - but it was awful...I almost went to the ER. It seems to be related to my monthly cycle, and only happens every now and then - I suspect uterine fibroids, given my mom's medical history and my own, but have not investigated that yet. Surgery, of course, would be complicated by the Lupus and being on Mtx, so BLECHT!

ANYHOO...last weekend I came down with a UTI and am on a week of amoxicillin, so I have to skip the Mtx for a while or apparently my kidneys will explode :-P

I don't know if it's the lack of Mtx, the infection, the antibiotics, or what - but I feel AWFUL again.

Being relatively new to treatment (diagnosed just over a year ago), I am still learning - I know many of us take something (I think) called a "K-Pack" of prednisone? How does that work, and how often do you use it?

Is it better to do that, or to try and manage with NSAIDS? I know they're not great to take with Mtx, but Prednisone ain't exactly non-toxic either....

Of course I will ask my Rheum, but I always want your experience and input....

Thanks!!!

tgal
11-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Some people do get by with short term (6 dose) steroids and some of us take daily doses of steroids to keep our Lupus in check. It all depends on what is going on with you what your doctor wants you to do. NSAIDS are a different thing, the steroids work more like the MTX so make sure to discuss it with your doctor. He will discuss all of your options and come up with the right plan for you

steve.b
11-29-2012, 06:45 AM
it really is a personal thing.
many of us have our own plan.

but as everyone is different.....
each plan must be discussed with our own doctor.

sorry i do not have a fall back on remedy... but there is not a one size for all with these meds.

Nonna
12-03-2012, 12:59 AM
When I have to go off the MTX, my rheumie has given me a week of pred to kill the pain. It usually works until the MTX can kick in again. I had thought maybe I could get off both but no dice. Difinetly consult with your doc
Hugs

BonusMom
12-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Just this morning, my rheumy instructed me to take Prednisone x 2 weeks for a flare.