PDA

View Full Version : NBA Coach Kevin McHale's daughter dies after battle with lupus

the wingless one
11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
I was sad to read today that Kevin McHale's (coach of the Houston Rockets) 22 year old daughter had passed away. I knew he had been on a leave of absence due to his daughter being sick but never heard anything about her having lupus until today, so that piece of information surprised me.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-11-25/kevin-mchale-daughter-dies-alexandra-sasha-houston-rockets

Condolences to the McHale family, I can't imagine how painful it must be to lose a child far too young. I do hope that the family will now speak out about her battle with this awful disease and try to raise awareness about how it affects those of us who have it, as well as our families.

tgal
11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Lupus sucks. My heart goes out to their family

Nonna
11-25-2012, 03:55 PM
My heart goes out to her family as this Butterfly takes flight

Mica
11-25-2012, 06:19 PM
You know to anyone who has people around them that don't understand how serious lupus is have them read that. This disease is so unpredictable and can be deadly. I feel sorry for her family and I hope she is at least not in pain anymore.

tgal
11-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I do feel the need to step in here and let all of the new people know that while lupus is a very dangerous and sometimes deadly disease for the most part people with Lupus now live very long lives. The single most common reason for a Lupus death is coming off your medication and/or being sucked into believing in "natural" and unproven cures. While the diseases itself can, and sometimes does, affect organs to the point of death it can usually be controlled with today's medication enough that the majority of us live long lives. Our lives may be different than what we envisioned but they can usually be just as fulfilling

the wingless one
11-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Just wanted to post this link to a new story with more details about her lupus:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-11-26/kevin-mchale-daughter-dies-alexandra-sasha-houston-rockets-boston-celtics