PDA

View Full Version : newly diagnosed

lola-pink
11-23-2012, 03:40 AM
Hello, I am so frightened with this diagnosis....the more that you read online, the more terrifying it becomes. I have so many questions! Will my kidneys fail?? Will I have heart disease/lung disease?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

tgal
11-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Hi welcome to WHL!

First of all try and calm down. I know things look very scary right now but it is going to be OK. There are varying degrees of Lupus. Some people only get mild forms of the disease. This disease attacks each persons body differently but understand that Lupus is no longer the death sentence it once was. If you take your medicines, get the disease under control and stay on top of it you will be around a very long time.

one of the most important things to learn is "don't borrow trouble". That means don't freak out over what you read or what could happen. Deal with what is happening now. Stress is our worst enemy. The more you stress the more ill you can get. It's ok. We wil be here for you as you travel down this new path. We are here to help, answer questions and just be a support system if you need us.

we are all in this together. Welcome to the WHL family

lola-pink
11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Thank you so much for your reply. What you have said is very reassuring. I will try and stay calm and positive and perhaps not read too many lupus related internet sites!!

M x

jmail
11-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi lola-pink, and welcome to the WHL forum. Lots of good listeners around here. Vent all you want, just remember what tgal/Mari said: "... Lupus is no longer the death sentence it once was." Sure, there's some issues to deal with, but a person does what a person has to do while they're able. I haven't been diagnosed all that long, but have probably had lupus for at least 10 years. It's done some damage, but not as much as a couple other things I've got. It's about like several other chronic diseases, in that you have to take care of yourself in order to minimize the impact the disease has on oneself...