PDA

View Full Version : Autoimmune trigger explained

ritzbit2
11-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I think this is a very telling discovery that they seem to finally be able to link the cause between infection and AI diseases. Its actually my biggest area of interest in the way of what causes lupus. I'm planning on doing a research project on EBV and autoimmunity once I start feeling a little better, hopefully this coming summer when I don't have class going on too. My professor said he would be willing to be my faculty advisor once I come up with an experimental design.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20121111-23849.html

deannegirl
11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Crazy! I read a couple of other medical journal articles about this hypothesis in recent months and was intrigued myself. Thanks for the article, let's keep an eye on this research. :)

steve.b
11-16-2012, 07:27 PM
did you notice where the discovery was made?

australia is doing quite a bit of study into auto-immune system, at present.
there is also quite a few studies into ms.
lets hope they are able to continue there studies, and find results.

jmail
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I think is was "Arthritis Today" years ago (early 90's) that had an article on that. It is a very interesting subject.

professor825
11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I think this is a very telling discovery that they seem to finally be able to link the cause between infection and AI diseases. Its actually my biggest area of interest in the way of what causes lupus. I'm planning on doing a research project on EBV and autoimmunity once I start feeling a little better, hopefully this coming summer when I don't have class going on too. My professor said he would be willing to be my faculty advisor once I come up with an experimental design.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20121111-23849.html

RitzbIt2: thanks for posting this. I say go for it, research wise. I was going to chose a lab in the Immunology dept. and pursue a project involved with autoimmune disorders,but I decided against it. For me personally, I felt I'd get too wrapped up in it. So, I chose the Human Genetics dept. but I say if you can formulate your experimental design and have a PI willing to take you under their wing, go for it. Best of luck, girl! :)

magistramarla
11-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Ritz,
Good for you! I hope that you can discover something important here.
My AI symptoms picked up after a lot of stress and a bad UTI when my mother-in-law passed.
I've always thought that the illness brought those symptoms out.
Good luck on that research.
Hugs,
Marla