PDA

View Full Version : is there a link, - aspergers and lupus

steve.b
11-15-2012, 10:20 PM
i do not wish to infer anything,.......
but it appears to me that there is an abnormal corrilation.

i am a sufferer of both, and reading between the lines, it appears that there may be quite a few more of us.

aspergers is a milder form of the autism disorder.

the following is from webmd

Asperger's (http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/mental-health-aspergers-syndrome) syndrome, also called Asperger's disorder, is a type of pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) (http://forum.wehavelupus.com/content/article/60/67133.htm). PDDs are a group of conditions that involve delays in the development of many basic skills, most notably the ability to socialize with others, to communicate, and to use imagination.
Although Asperger's syndrome is similar in some ways to autism (http://forum.wehavelupus.com/content/article/60/67141.htm) -- another, more severe type of PDD -- there are some important differences. Children with Asperger's syndrome typically function better than do those with autism. In addition, children with Asperger's syndrome generally have normal intelligence and near-normal language development, although they may develop problems communicating as they get older.

the following two exerts are more of what i am looking into:

Asperger syndrome is a developmental disorder that affects how the brain processes information. It shapes a personís social, emotional and communication skills, and behaviours.

People with Aspergerís usually have considerable problems in the social domain. Their communication skills tend to be adequate and occasionally their vocabulary range is excellent. However people with Aspergerís are generally unable to appreciate language beyond its literal meaning and may not pay attention to nonverbal signals such as body language and facial expressions. This can lead to an inability to adapt to and participate in social situations, resulting in peer isolation. Poeple with Aspergerís often talk in a monotone and may not demonstrate empathy for other people, though they frequently have particular subjects that they become
obsessive about and rote-memorise associated facts or statistics. Occasionally Aspergerís is not diagnosed at all and people function independently within the community Ė however they would possibly be labelled as eccentric or awkward.

i am interested in your thoughts and opinions.

tgal
11-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Just wrote a really long response to this and then hit the wrong button so it sent away!

the point of it is that there is actually research going on now that seems to show that people with Autism ( and therefor Asperger’s) have a higher rate of AI disease in their family history. It is making some wonder, and begin to investigate, if Autism itself may be an AI disease. If this were proven to be the case it would make complete sense because so many of us end up with multiple diseases as time goes on.

below is a link to a short article on the subject

http://autism.com/ari/newsletter/174/page2.pdf

running girl
11-16-2012, 05:14 AM
My son has very Asperger-like tendencies, he does not have ai issues. But I do. This is a very interesting connection.
Thanks

steve.b
11-16-2012, 08:20 AM
my daughter and i both have aspergers.

but the link came to me from reading between the lines.
i have met about 6 other people with lupus.
and of course the few hundred i have come to know through here.

SleepyInSeattle
11-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Both kinds of disorders share a tendency to be sensitive to certain foods...gluten, dairy, etc - and high rates of IBS.

Not in every case, but in many.

I would not be surprised if this whole "leaky gut" thing leads to some really interesting research...and hopefully some treatments!

rob
11-16-2012, 10:53 AM
It's not a very scientific observation on my part, but Asperger's is something I see mentioned here quite often. If you put the word Asperger's into the WHL search function you'll get a couple dozen thread hits and even more individual post hits. That's alot of talk about Asperger's by people with autoimmune disorders. Many people mentioned that they have both disorders. My first thought would be that there is indeed some sort of link or correlation between Asperger's and AI disorders, including Lupus.

running girl
11-16-2012, 04:14 PM
So what came first...

is Asperger's a symptom of AI or is AI a result of Asperger's? Very interesting indeed.

jmail
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
When I was younger, back in the 50's & 60's, a person was just "different", maybe called "retarded". As a person gets older, it becomes "weird" or "freak". Years later, after I take the then 3 year old to the doctor, along with the wife, and we're told that the boy has asperber's, and as we learned more about it, it begins to make sense for me. So I'm a "mild" aspergers, and the wife is more so, based upon ATEC testing and the doc. I've basically "forced" myself to do certain things over the years, but I still have trouble even gong to the store and being near people. I definitely do better than what I did even 5 years ago. I do take issue with webmd's use of the inability "to use imagination" statement. Most of the rest is spot-on, but there was one thing I was good at, and that was using my imagination. It's what got me through a day back then...

Both the wife and I have multiple ai issues. For me, this subject is a lot like the "trigger" subject. "Velly intellesting..."

kim,l
11-16-2012, 11:26 PM
hi steve my youngest daughter has aspergers and mild intellectual impairment she cannot function in mainstream school she attends special school. this is certainly interesting my son has borderline personality disorder. but they are now saying it is a high probability that he suffers from aspergers. due to his lack of empathy andsocial skills. and my eldest daughter also has learning disability. and lupus so i can believe that this is quite possible. my husband also has had severe learning disabilities and does not function in socially at all . thankyou for this comment . i have long believed myself that maybe the conditions could be linked.