PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy

tgal
10-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Just wanted to take a moment to wish all of you that are being affected by this storm safe passage. Please let us know that you are safe when possible. Those of us at WHL are wishing you all of the best

magistramarla
10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
My daughter Heather has apartments in both NYC and Washington DC. She was in NYC for the weekend and boarded up the apartment there. Eric was in Texas visiting his Dad, who is dying, and he's stuck there - all flights are cancelled. Heather managed to get one of the last buses out of the city and got safely back to DC on Sunday evening. Things are fairly calm where she is in Arlington. She's hunkered down with plenty of food, water, wine and rum and a few good books.
She's keeping in touch with her friends in NYC as best she can, and is very worried about them.
I'm just glad that both of them are in safe places for the duration.
I also hope that our WHL members on the East Coast are safe.
Hugs,
Marla

kim,l
10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
to all our friends in new york stay safe and i wish you well.

debbie-b
10-30-2012, 04:43 AM
We were really lucky, we had high wind gusts, up to 70mph. There are some trees down in the neighborhood, some areas have no power, but we are ok and have power.
It was scary though, the wind was howling really bad.
Can you imagine, Lake Ontario had 22 feet waves. I mean, it's a Lake and the smallest of the Great Lakes, but has 22 foot waves, wow.

Debbie

jmail
10-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Wow. Watching the news this morning, and there's a BIG clean-up over a BIG area that has to be done. The fire in Greasy Point is downright scary... Wishing all well. Lots of prayers.

n.mac
10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
The power of mother nature is truly amazing-thanks to Sandy Lake Michigan has 23' waves at the Chicago shore which is 720 miles away from New York city!

jmail
10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
... greasy point... hmmm... guess my hearing needs checking. It's Breezy Point... sorry.

n.mac
10-30-2012, 08:23 PM
-yes but greasy point explains why it is burning and hard to put out!

Nonna
10-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Just heard that my family on the Jersey Shore is safe. The flooding from the surf- storm surge looks really bad. The news focused on NYC, so I had to really hunt to find some local news stories.

Praise the Lord they are safe

jmail
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
-yes but greasy point explains why it is burning and hard to put out!

yeah, and I'm from Missouri, with family in Illinois, and a name like Greasy Point is very real... tic

Glad you found your family safe Nonna.