PDA

View Full Version : basically called a drug seeker!

chikititalinda
10-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Where do I start, I was discharged from the hospital (which was another nightmare) and told to follow up with my primary. I called to schedule the apt and told the secretary what happened and told her I would need a note to return to work and that I also had a cold. Well apparently she scheuduled me w a nurse practicioner who made an assumption about me the second she walked in the door.

I told her why I was there, and she asked me why does it say that I have a cold, I told her what I had told the receptionist she seemed to get upset and said they scheduled me for a 10 min visit instead of a 30 min visit and that my health history is too complicated for a nurse practicioner. OKEY!!! whose fault is that??? not mine! Anyway long story short She bluntly tells me I need to get off them FREAKING drugs, I said excuse me then she asked me who's Dr. Ku and I said he's my pain management, she then tells me Oh I don't like those. I asked oh, and why not, becuase they just prescribe DRUGS,"you're on too many narcotics" you need to get off them, " ive been in this field 25 yrs and seen cancer patients not do as many drugs as your on" " I see nothing good coming out of this, but this is just my personal opinion" OH, Im about to punch her in the face, but I breath and tell her excuse me how dare you make a judgement call on me within just five minutes of meeting me, who do you think you are, until you walk a mile in my shoes DO NOT JUDGE ME!!! when you feel the pain of a rat eating you alive from the inside out do not judge me, you're treating me like a drug seeker. At this point Im sobbing I've never felt so humiliated, what does she want me to do live in pain? had she researched my medical history a little bit more she wouldve known I can only take either tylenol or narcotics becuase im on coumadine for blood clots that almost killed me, I have avascular necrosis on both knees and take muscle relaxer at night for fibro, why am I freaking feeling guilty about all this now. I asked for her supervisors name and I'm thinking of writing the hospital and the supervisor a letter. I wonder how many other patients she tried to belittle like that. That shows what a narrow mind she has.
What would you guys do, or how would you have gone about this?

tgal
10-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Oh honey I am so sorry you had to go through this! It's sad to say but this happens to way too many of us. YES you should write the hospital, the supervisor and anyone else that you can think of! You should CC your pain management doctor and let him know what another doctor is saying about him as well (because that will go over like a lead balloon). You have nothing to feel guilty about but the idiot that made you feel bad needs to feel like crap and, in my opinion, lose her job by the time this is over.

You go girl! Don't feel bad. Get ticked!!

chikititalinda
10-25-2012, 08:03 PM
get ticketed, that's funny you made me laughed Mari, that's exactly what my husband said that she should loose her job because Lord knows how many other people she would talk to like that that wouldn't dare question her authority. If one thing I learned from you guys is DOCTORS WORK FOR US, NOT VISE VERSA and I felt empowered to say something when that thought came to mind. So thank you guys because I was talking for all of us!

tgal
10-25-2012, 08:41 PM
You go girl!!!!

debbie-b
10-26-2012, 04:43 AM
I am glad, that you didn't take it laying down.
You should tell your pain doc what she said, too.
My rheumy is the opposite, he is always trying to " push" pain meds on me. Of course push, is not the right word, he thinks I should control the pain, his words," you don't have to endure all this pain all the time". The thing is though, all the pain meds I have tried, really don't take care of the pain, they just make me feel weird. Kind of high, but not a good kind of high, in my opinion.
Last time I went to see him, he gave me a prescription for Tramadol. I took one and got nauseated and wired, the next time I took two ( he told me to), I was itching and sweating all over.
I am usually not that sensitive to meds.

Debbie

rob
10-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Unbelieveable,

Just who, in the frak, does this person think she is?!?!

I would have gone off on her big time. I would have used every four letter word in the book, and then I'd have made up a few new ones, just for her.

I think you handled it the right way Chickititalinda by telling this person just how insulting she was to you. I would definitely file a written complaint with the appropriate supervisors. The damage is already done with you, but like you said, you might be able to keep this humiliating situation from happening to someone else.

I think it's awesome that you felt empowered to stand up to this person the way you did.

Rob

SleepyInSeattle
10-26-2012, 07:31 AM
I am sure she encounters multiple people a day who are just seeking drugs - it's a shame it's made her so jaded that she can't do her job well. Sounds like she needs to take a bit of a leave and get her head back on straight. Management should absolutely know that she's not able to perform her job well. Send that letter!

Mica
10-26-2012, 10:19 AM
UGHH this happened to me too! I have been on the same dosage of narcotics for the past 7 years and told my doctor constantly that it was time for more because i'm going through the month supply faster than I should, She just keeps saying to double up on them, well that doesn't solve my problem. So like a couple a months ago I ran out too quickly and really needed them, I was having a rough month. So I call the pharmacy and they said it shouldn't be a problem because its the first time that has ever happened. 20 minutes later I get a call from my doctor's nurse basically accusing me of being a druggy. I was so mad because in the 7 years I have been with them I have never once done that in fact I used to be able to go months without having a refill.

magistramarla
10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Linda,
I'm glad that you didn't put up with her doing that to you.
I've had docs telling me that I'm a hypochondriac and acting like I'm drug-seeking too. That's a really big laugh in my case. I'm allergic to any opiate, which rules out narcotics for me. I over-react to just about any meds, so when they give me a month's supply, it usually lasts much longer than that for me.
My Neurontin prescription says take three capsules, three times a day. If I did that, I would be a zombie! The doc told me to start with one capsule at night, and try to increase it if I can handle it. One knocks me out for the night. I tried taking one in the morning, and I was sleepy all day.
I'm not very good at drug-seeking, am I?
Write that letter to complain about that nurse!
Hugs,
Marla

Angel Oliver
10-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Dont let them make you feel bad for all the meds you are on.Im on 18 a day and in the past i have also felt like a hypaondriact and an ambulance driver n a nurse both told me i was on way too many meds.So i stopped some.I was so ill.Now i think ,for me to function i need pain meds,lupus meds n sleeping pills and asthma pills.Try ignore anyone who tries to put you down ....you know your body so keep on doing whats right for you.Not all doctors are right and in the uk,we are just a number so i make sure i dont let them dictate to me ....as they can go home at night pain free....we carnt!!! Keep strong!
love Amanda.xxxx

Jltoland
10-29-2012, 04:27 PM
This is the stigma that follows people in pain from chronic illnesses. I've been told "Oh, lose some weight and you'll be in less pain." or "You don't need pain meds. You just have fibromyalgia and lupus and a back injury. It's not like you have cancer."

It's belittling, demeaning and disgusting. Tell that doctor to shove it.

*hugs*

Where do I start, I was discharged from the hospital (which was another nightmare) and told to follow up with my primary. I called to schedule the apt and told the secretary what happened and told her I would need a note to return to work and that I also had a cold. Well apparently she scheuduled me w a nurse practicioner who made an assumption about me the second she walked in the door.

I told her why I was there, and she asked me why does it say that I have a cold, I told her what I had told the receptionist she seemed to get upset and said they scheduled me for a 10 min visit instead of a 30 min visit and that my health history is too complicated for a nurse practicioner. OKEY!!! whose fault is that??? not mine! Anyway long story short She bluntly tells me I need to get off them FREAKING drugs, I said excuse me then she asked me who's Dr. Ku and I said he's my pain management, she then tells me Oh I don't like those. I asked oh, and why not, becuase they just prescribe DRUGS,"you're on too many narcotics" you need to get off them, " ive been in this field 25 yrs and seen cancer patients not do as many drugs as your on" " I see nothing good coming out of this, but this is just my personal opinion" OH, Im about to punch her in the face, but I breath and tell her excuse me how dare you make a judgement call on me within just five minutes of meeting me, who do you think you are, until you walk a mile in my shoes DO NOT JUDGE ME!!! when you feel the pain of a rat eating you alive from the inside out do not judge me, you're treating me like a drug seeker. At this point Im sobbing I've never felt so humiliated, what does she want me to do live in pain? had she researched my medical history a little bit more she wouldve known I can only take either tylenol or narcotics becuase im on coumadine for blood clots that almost killed me, I have avascular necrosis on both knees and take muscle relaxer at night for fibro, why am I freaking feeling guilty about all this now. I asked for her supervisors name and I'm thinking of writing the hospital and the supervisor a letter. I wonder how many other patients she tried to belittle like that. That shows what a narrow mind she has.
What would you guys do, or how would you have gone about this?

chikititalinda
10-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the support guys! I want you all to know that I useally come in here at least daily although I don't post often because I usually use my phone to and my fingers hurt typing on that small screen. <3

pookiesmom
12-01-2012, 01:19 PM
I had this happen to me too. I went into a urgent care clinic for a migraine. I listed my meds including my narcotics I told the nurse all needed was a Tordal shot. I guess she did not tell the doc this because the doc immediately labled me as a drug seeker. After she finally let me talk I told her I only needed a Tordal shot and she looked shocked. She was convinced I wanted a narcotic shot. I said something similar to what you said while in tears and still dealing with the migraine. I told her I was going to file a complaint. She gave me the shot. A day late doc who owns the urgent care clinic called me and apologized. He said that the nurse had told him what had happened. He also told me that the doc was just out of med school and it was not her job to identify drug seekers. He also said she wrote in my chart " patient is trying to cover her ass" and yes she actually used that word in my chart. She was fired as a result. So my point is please complain because chronic pain patients have enough trouble without having to deal with docs like that. Odds are she has had complaints in the past just like the one who was so mean to me. So glad you stood up for yourself. I hope you never have to experience that again. Hugs

StarPhire
12-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Yes, Chikititalinda, this has happened to me as well. It sucked! My GP had sent me to a pain management clinic.
I was treated horribly by the doctor himself. I don't think that guy had a clue what people experience with Lupus! He was a jerk, and I was new to the whole thing, so I just dealt with it and put up with him until, one fine day, when we got into it about the pain meds he was giving me, and he pretty much kicked me off the program! I think all of us should stand up for ourselves and maybe that will get the point across : You work for ME. You have your pretty cars and time-shares in the Caribbean, because I (we) are sick and we(somebody) pays you a ridiculous amount of money to take care of ME! I, for one, will not be treated that way again. I, nor anyone else with Lupus, deserves that BS. We have enough to worry about without having to be afraid of judgement just because we need relief from constant pain. You stay strong, Chikitita, you know your body better than anyone, and are entitled to what you need to be functional and pain-free.

Peace~ Blu