PDA

View Full Version : Just diagnosed and new to your forum

Razzleberry
06-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm just coming off a hospital stay and a new diagnosis of Lupus and have many questions and concerns. I've been on prednisone for about 10 days now and I've seen an improvement of many symptoms (fever gone, skin improved, rash gone, swelling gone) but I'm still battling unrelenting fatigue and incredibly sore muscles. I'm more concerned with preventing another flare once this one is stopped and I wonder ......does my body continue to fight itself when I'm not in a flare or is it just during a flare that it attacks itself? Will I always need more rest than normal even after we get this flare under control? Is my "normal" life gone for good?
Sharon

ButterflyRN
06-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi Sharon! One thing you will always find whether in a flare or not is that you will need more rest than normal. All of our bodies react differently to this disease but I think we all can agree that we need extra rest. A flare means that the lupus is actively attacking your body. But just because you are not in a flare remember that th lupus always has the potential to come out of remission and start attacking again. Muscle pain is something I know about with my previous flare. I ended up having to get a muscle relaxant called flexeril to take at night with 2 tylenol 8 hour tabs just so I could sleep. Plus I used a heat pack. It wasn't until after I got out of the worst part of my current flare that I began to feel better. But I also have low potassium and magnesium and when I don't take my supplements prescribed as I should my muscle pain returns a little and I know I need my meds. Your life will never be so called "normal" now that you have lupus but I think you can do your best to live as normally as you can. Best of Luck!

TracyDawn
06-13-2006, 09:58 AM
I've decided there is no such thing as a normal life, for anyone. It is what you make it, and those of us with Lupus just have to make it a little different, if not better, from the mainstream. Having lupus makes you slow down and notice stuff you wouldn't otherwise, I think. So yes, what you knew before as normal may be gone, now you just have to achieve a new normal for you and your body. I know for me, I do have to rest a lot more, flaring or not, because if I don't it throws everything out of whack and sends me headlong into a flare. As butterfly said, lupus is different for everyone so after you get over this flare you might find things are back to "normal" for you, then again you may not but that doesn't mean things won't be better than before if that makes any sense. (hmmm I think I'm rambling today so I'll hush now LOL)