PDA

View Full Version : Neurontin, anyone?

magistramarla
10-14-2012, 02:06 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, the neurologist at UCSF is still pursuing the possibility that my leg muscles are spastic because of Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia. Since I had bad luck with Baclofen, he prescribed Neurontin to try to help my leg spasms and numb toes.
I've never tried Neurontin before. Has anyone else taken it?
I would love to hear about any experiences, good or bad. I'm always really sensitive to drugs, so I like to know a lot about them before I try them.
Hugs,
Marla

Derrie
10-14-2012, 02:17 PM
I've taken Neurontin (the generic is gabapentin). They start you at a small dose, then work you up to a higher dose. It was an attempt by my neurologist to control what they thought was nerve pain in my legs and then tingling feeling I have in my hands and feet. It made me feel a little drunk at first, but then I got more used to it, and it wasn't that big of a deal. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything for my pain or tingling, so I stopped taking it.

One important thing to remember with Neurontin is if you're on it and want to stop, you should notify your doctor so she can wean you slowly. If you stop it suddenly, it can cause a seizure.

I think it might be worth a try for you-- just start with a small dose, and see how it affects you.

Mica
10-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I have been taking it since like march, I really like it. It works well for that muscle spasm pain, from what I understand about the drug that it is normally used for nerve damage people. I don't feel any side affects, but I have that drunk feeling all the time lol. Meds work differently for everyone, so I hope it works well for you as it does for me.
P.S I got on neurotin because of my muscle spasms and my veins in my legs were spasming(don't think thats the right word) too.

gkf109
10-14-2012, 04:24 PM
I was given neurotin after back surgery for nerve damage, and it didn't work for me

jmail
10-15-2012, 07:38 AM
In our household: I didn't like it since it made me feel "weird", out of sorts. The wife liked it. It took her a bit to get used to it, but she used it for a couple of years. She now uses lyrica instead, for a number reasons, including weight gain & our insurance.

magistramarla
10-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the answers.
I took one (just one capsule) last night. I slept very soundly and slept a bit late this morning. I felt a bit bleary for a while this morning, but it wasn't as bad as the way I felt with Baclofen.
The good thing is that today my toes are much less numb! It feels sort of strange to actually be able to feel my toes!
My calf muscles are still very tight, but the pain might be a little less.
I'm only going to take the Neurontin at bedtime, since I don't want to be drugged during the day.
I'll let you know if it continues to be helpful.
Hugs,
Marla

magistramarla
10-21-2012, 09:56 PM
So, here's a frustration.
Last night, I took my meds at 9 pm, so the neurontin had me feeling really sleepy by 10 pm, so I was in bed and asleep very quickly after that.
Jeff stayed up, working on his research and planning to try to see the meteor shower, which I had forgotten about. This morning, he told me that he hadn't seen any meteors, but he did feel an earthquake! It turns out that King City had a 5.3 trembler. King City is in southern Monterey County - we're in northern Monterey County. I slept through the whole thing.
Now I wish that I would have stayed up with him.
BTW, I tried taking a neurontin this morning. I felt very sleepy and dopey most of the day, but I could stand on my feet to make dinner without my toes feeling numb and my feet hurting - WHOO HOO!
Hugs,
Marla

jmail
10-22-2012, 07:05 AM
I'd say sleeping through a trembler is a *good* thing... I've been through a few small quakes, and they scare me. Worse than tornadoes do. With most tornadoes, they have to hit almost directly, and even at that (again, with most storms), if you have a basement or storm cellar, you can get pretty good protection. Earthquakes, you gotta hope it's a trembler, and not a full-on quake. I do NOT like 'em... lol

But congrats on the success with neurontin. May it continue, and maybe even get a bit better for you Marla.

magistramarla
10-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Jmail,
We've only lived in Ca for three years, so we consider the tremblers to be quite an adventure. I experienced that really rare quake that happened in St. Louis in 1968. I was 11, and that was quite an experience! My hubby had never experienced such a thing, coming from upstate NY.
Growing up near St. Louis, I've experienced way too many tornadoes, and I will be happy to never experience one again. Those things scare me more than anything.
We've found that we feel very safe and comfortable living here next to the ocean. We laugh when the weatherman talks about what they call a "winter storm" here on the coast. In the Midwest or in South Texas, we would just call it a good steady rainfall! I love Ca!
Hugs,
Marla

debbie-b
10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Oh Marla, I am so happy for you, that this med is helping you, with your numbness and the muscle spasms.

Debbie

jmail
10-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Ahh yesh, good ole St. Lou... The Cards lost to the Giants, so I'll be rootin' for the California team this year again... lol - and when I moved to Indiana, I still couldn't get away from them St. Lou tremblers... they vibrate all the way over here, with the shtinking topography! or is it geology... whatever. We feel them almost as good as we did in St. Louis itself... and I never stop worrying about tornadoes here either!

How's the neurontin today, Marla?

doublecamp52
10-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Marla the doctor had me on neurontin. I had back surgery and have a lot of nerve damage to my left leg. It worked well for the pain and then I started gaining weight and fluid just like the lyrica. So I had to stop. Hope it works well with you.

mystiejm
10-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I was on it for nerve pain. With my first real flare, I had severe numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. The gabapentin(generic for neurontin) helped me tremendously. It also helps other types of pain, like muscle. My only problem was weaning off. It took a full month of only taking one a day until I could quit taking it because it gave me insomnia. I stopped taking it because when my first flare was over I didn't need it anymore (after the flare was over so was the nerve pain )and we had moved to a new state and I didn't have insurance. I haven't needed it since but would go back on it if I needed to.

jolynnhughes
10-27-2012, 07:43 AM
I take 200 to 300 mg of Neurontin only at night for foot and hand pain. My rheumy told me to add 100 mg every night until I reached 600, but I got the relief I needed (pain not completely gone, but barely noticeable) from 200. There are some nights I need to take 300, but those are few and far between. I have not noticed any side effects other than sleeping really well. I am fine the next morning, once I get my coffee. I can't, however, imagine taking it during the day. I would be zonked. My doctor told me I might experience weight gain, but I have actually lost a little since I started taking it. That is likely from my fluctuating thyroid issues and not a result of the Neurontin. I don't plan on stopping it any time soon. The pain I was experiencing in my hands and feet was getting pretty difficult to live with. In my book, Neurontin Rocks!

magistramarla
10-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Jolynn,
I'm having much the same experience that you've had. My prescription says take three capsules, three times a day, but if I did that, I would be a total zombie. The doc said to start with one at night, and to see if I could add more later. One makes me sleepy and does take the edge off of the nerve pain. I've tried taking one in the morning on a day when I didn't have anywhere to go or anything pressing to do. I was a sleepy person all day.
I do think that it is going to help me. If it keeps on helping, I agree - Neurontin rocks!
Thanks for answering.
Hugs,
Marla