PDA

View Full Version : Plaquenil and platelet drop

Ashleybritton
10-14-2012, 09:02 AM
I was so happy the week before I started plaquenil because my platelets increased to 119! I've been on plaquenil for about a month and a half (?) and found out that 2 weeks ago my platelets dropped to 77. Before when they were low they always held steady at 84-86. Obviously 77 isn't much lower than that, but I'm concerned about the 40K drop since starting the plaquenil. What if they are still dropping?

I'm supposed to have a kidney biopsy and another surgery soon, but I'm concerned because my platelets are so low.

I read this can be a cause symptom of plaquenil. Has this happened to anyone else. Did it eventually improve, or were you put on a different medicine? Thank you!

debbie-b
10-15-2012, 06:34 AM
I always have low platelets and I am not on Plaquenil. My rheumy thinks, that Lupus is the cause.

Debbie

jmail
10-15-2012, 07:45 AM
low platelet count is a form of anemia, which is a possible side-effect of plaquenil use (I don't know about what different forms of anemia are associated with plaquenil use), but as Debbie mentions, it's also a "side-effect" of lupus in lots of folks. My counts fluctuate all the time, sometimes wildly. Have you and the doc discussed the count change yet?