PDA

View Full Version : Migraines?

DCboundDem
06-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone, I posted here a while ago asking advice, and am still waiting on a diagnosis, which I'm sure you can all relate to.

I was wondering how many of you suffer from migraines and if you've noticed that they are a precurser to a flare or something.

I've had migraines for 10 years, and read that people with lupus often suffered with migraines prior to their diagnosis.

I've had several lupus systems and have been getting simpler problems ruled out, but I've never had the butterfly rash. Last night I got a terrible migraine and woke this morning to find what looks like a textbook butterfly rash across my face.

I'm not sure if it could be a side effect of my migraine medicine? But it's never happened before...I was just interested in other people's experiences with migraines.

Thanks!
Danielle

TracyDawn
06-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Hmmmm well there are cases of drug induced lupus so it is possible that your meds are causing the rash I guess. What med do you take? I do get migraines, and take Maxalt for them. But I've never seen my meds cause the symptoms or the rash.

SoleSinger
06-13-2006, 10:40 AM
I never got the rash either, and then after I was dx'd I woke up one day and my nose and cheeks looked like I'd been sunburned! No idea why... I don't get them often, but every once in a while I get my butterfly bite...lol

Saysusie
06-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Hi Danielle:
People with lupus often experience headaches which are unrelated to their lupus, i.e., sinus headache, tension headache and bone spurs from osteoarthritis. Headaches may also, of course, be manifestations of brief viral illnesses and changing doses of drugs. However, approximately 20 percent of people with SLE experience severe headaches which are directly related to the disease and known as lupus headaches.
The lupus headache phenomenon is similar to migraines. Lupus headaches are treated like tension headaches or migraines, although corticosteroids are occasionally useful. Lupus headaches may represent a significant manifestation of lupus, in particular, central nervous system involvement. lupus patients with migrainous headaches often do not have an associated family history of migraines and their headaches typically have begun in association with the activity of their lupus.
With reference to your rash. Lupus has as many varieties of rashes as there are varieties of wine. Traditionally they are sun-sensitive ('photsensitive') but this is not always the case. The commonest rashes are on the cheeks (the butterfly rash across the nose and cheeks), on the elbows, on the palms and soles and on the V-neck area. The rashes vary from pinkish discolouration through to blisters and small pinpoint ‘blood spots” (purpura). Most rashes in lupus have a tendency to come and go, and that is also as varied and unpredictable as relapse and flares. However, we are told to avoid exposure as one of the ways in which we can prevent flares and rashes.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

catlady4520
06-16-2006, 11:53 PM
What type of lupus do you have? Do you have the kind that affects your brain? I have that kind and used to get severe migraines with a rash so bad it felt like my face was on fire.

I was put on Gabitril for the seizures and take Lyrica 100mg 3x daily and 1 Ambien CR 12.5 to help tone done both the headaches and seizures.

Good luck in finding a solution. I would consult a neurologist if I were you.