PDA

View Full Version : Son deploys

ruziska
10-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Tomorrow morning I drive down to Helena to see my son off. He is on his way to Afghanistan for a year. He leaves exactly 1 week before the one year anniversary of my mom's passing. I'm not too fond of October right now...

steve.b
10-06-2012, 08:24 PM
i know it is a scarey thought....
sending yourson to a war zone.

but most come home saftely.

i have spent 12 years in the airforce. all of the 80's and the start of the 90's.
i saw friends go to a few active postings.

i also had to repair aircraft that came back with holes in them.

it is a scarey thing.

i wish him safe keeping.
and you a peaceful 12 months.

i also thank him for his actions....
by serving our world in this way.

magistramarla
10-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Hi Rita,
I know how you feel - it is rough to have them so far away and to be worried about them every day.
My daughter was able to skype with her husband fairly often. Can you set that up with him?
The year will pass quickly - hang in there.
Hugs,
Marla

tgal
10-06-2012, 09:13 PM
I know this is hard for you and my thoughts are with you and your family. Please thank him for his service and my thanks also goes to all of his family because you too are giving up so much while he goes to serve. never doubt that all of you are serving as well

SleepyInSeattle
10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Sending love and best wishes to you and him....I know you have got to be a bit frightened for him, but it is true that most people come home just fine. No place in the world is completely safe, including our own front yards - remember he's with some of the best-prepared and trained people on the planet, so hopefully this will be a good learning and bonding experience that strengthens him and lets him see a part of the world most of us never experience, and maybe he can help some people along the way. My thanks to him, and to your family.

ruziska
10-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Just got back from seeing son off. I wish I was out of tears already!

magistramarla
10-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Sending love and best wishes to you and him....I know you have got to be a bit frightened for him, but it is true that most people come home just fine. No place in the world is completely safe, including our own front yards - remember he's with some of the best-prepared and trained people on the planet, so hopefully this will be a good learning and bonding experience that strengthens him and lets him see a part of the world most of us never experience, and maybe he can help some people along the way. My thanks to him, and to your family.

Well said, Sleepy!

magistramarla
10-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Just got back from seeing son off. I wish I was out of tears already!

Rita,
I love what Sleepy said to you. That was very true of my son. He grew up a lot in the Marines and learned some skills that got him the job that he has now.
My son-in-law trained to work on engines and electronics on the big C-130s. Now he's the flying crew chief on them and he's loving every minute of it.
I hope that your son grows and learns the way my boys have.
Hugs,
Marla

n.mac
10-08-2012, 03:13 PM
My daughter has been in afghanastan for about a month now.
I talked to her this morning-she just got off work,she is an mp and was going to play volleyball before dinner and sleep.
She seems happy now that she is settled in-can't tell us where she is or her job duties but she tells us not to worry its not as bad as we all had envisioned.No skype allowed where she is but facebook and phone calls a couple of times a week.

jmail
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Thinking 'boutcha and your family ruziska. You too, Niall. May God watch over, protect and bless you and your children. It takes a special person to serve their country, 'cause it sure ain't for the money or fame...

n.mac
10-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Some how I managed to lose part of my post-
Anyway from what becca has told us they work alot-12hr days 6 days a week.
As well they get together after work to play board games,basketball and volley ball.
It seems an effort is made to try and keep everyone busy- thanks to the uso they seem to get alot of support.
She was very surprised at the quality of food. she expected alot of mre's and was surprised at variety as well as quality of fresh fruit and veggies.
1 month down 11 to go!

Take care Niall

magistramarla
10-10-2012, 09:27 PM
My son had us to send a coffee maker and lots of coffee necessities. Since they couldn't drink beer there, they all drank coffee.
My school adopted his unit, and one of our girls who worked at a coffee joint talked to her manager. He agreed to send a whole box of a variety of coffees and all the fixins'. Tom loved it! He set it all up on his computer desk, and he often had officers showing up, coffee mug in hand, to get some of "the best coffee on the base". It made Tom into a popular guy!
I hope that it goes as well for your kids.
Hugs,
Marla