PDA

View Full Version : Disability

ALLoWeyo
06-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh my... where to start...

I got diagnoses a few months ago. I'm on medical leave from school. I also have panic disorder so I can't work.

My stepfather just passed away and left me and my mother with nothing. I need to go on disability, but my stepfather was my disability lawyer. I don't know where to start and I'm so overwhelmed. I live in florida. If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be very helpful.

Oh, I'm 23 if that helps and not married... but I plan to be soon. Should I wait until before or after I'm approved?

ihate2shave
06-11-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm very sorry you lost your stepfather. What I can offer is not any concrete suggestions since I don't know you, but maybe a few questions to get the ideas flowing from within you and your friends/family would help.

Did he have any professional friends (colleagues) that you would trust? If he was your disability lawyer does that mean the process of filing a claim was already begun? If so, I would not delay it but would find a lawyer to continue the process as soon as you can identify someone capable that you trust. Assuming you're talking about social security, unless you had disability insurance through your college, you may want to start soon as these things can take time. Do your doctors support your finding of being disabled? If so, this can make the process much quicker/easier. If no one else knows a good dis. lawyer maybe you could ask your doctor for referrals; and anyone else you know who has succeeded in obtaining benefits.

I'm not sure when you are getting married but this certainly changes things. It will be necessary to look at your situation globally, e.g. talk over with you future spouse how you will live. You will be traveling this journey together and this would be the time to begin seeing how your lives will work intertwined.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure others will have more ideas.

stjames13
06-21-2006, 06:19 AM
ALLoWeyo,

First of all I am sorry for your loss, but let me assure you that getting SS is NOT the BIG scary thing every one thinks it is. I got mine in 72 days without a LAWYER.

First you want to go to www.socialsecurity.gov they must have changed the site's address as it used to be www.ssa.gov so if one does not work try this one.

You want to read the qualifications for getting S.S. and PLEASE understand that your decesion is NOT made by a Doctor but by S.S. reps who make the decesion by wether or not you meet the requirements or not.
If you have SYSTEMIC LUPUS you MEET the requirements.

SO before you run down to S.S. office what you need to do FIRST is beging getting as much of your HEALTH RECORDS from every Doctor and every Hospital you have deal with that has anything to due with your inability to work !!!!

You willneed a leeter from your main doctor and as many docs as possible, and one from your therapist who helps you with your panic problems as well is another reson that they recognise as reason to award some one DISABILITY BENEFITS.
NOTE: YOU MUST BE OUT OF WORK FOR 6 CONTINUIOUS MONTHS PRIOR TO APPLYING FOR DISABILTY.

This letter must have these VERY IMPORTANT things stated in it.

1...IT MUST STATE WHAT DATE YOU BECOME TOTALLY DISABELED AND UNABLE TO WORK.

2...IT MUST SHOW PROOF THAT YOU DO IN FACT HAVE THESE DIAGNOS'S

3...IT MUST STATE THAT NOT ONLY ARE YOU DISABELED NOW BUT IT WILL GET WORSE IN TIME.

4...IT MUST STATE THAT NOT ONLY CAN YOU NOT DO THE JOB YOU PRESENTLY HAVE BUT YOU CAN NOT DO ANY JOB

5...IT MUST STATE THAT IN THE DOCTOR'S EYES YOU ARE INFACT UNABLE TO PERFORM ANY JOB, AND THAT IT IS TOTALLY DUE TO YOUR AFFLICTIONS.

6....IT MUST STAE ALL TREATMENTS AND DRUGS YOU ARE NOW AND WILL BE TAKING FOR YOUR PROBLEMS, ESPECIALLY IF ANY SAY DO NOT DRIVE OR OPERATE HEAVY MACHINERY WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION.

As man of these letters that you can get from different doctors the better,I had 16 letters from different doctors when I applied.

Once you have alot of your paperwork from all these dr's THEN, go to your local S.S. office and make an appt to see a Represenative.
The rep will ask you some basic questions like what is your reason for applying etc....just formailty, BUT PLEASE THINK before you answer anything....ask yourself WHAT IS THE RIGHT ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION TO HELP ME GET MY BENEFITS WITHOUT A HASSLE.

The rep will then make an appt within 30 days of that date for you to return with all your pertinent evidence, that will help your case.
remember letters from family members,neighbors etc, staing how they have watched you go from a VIBRANT person do this sickly , and deteriorating person due to this incidious disease.

A letter from your therapist can carry ALOT of weight in the decesion making process.!!!!!!!!!! (VERY HELP FULL)

Now when you go back after 30 days they will ask ya some standard questions and for the application you filled out and all your paperwork.
ONCE AGAIN BEFORE ANSWERING ANY QUESTIONS ASK YOUSELF WHAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER TO HELP ME GET MY BENEFITS !!!!!!!

May I suggest that you go to STAPLES or something like that and get a HUGE binder and break it up into categories like DR's letters, test results, etc....... MAKE IT LOOK PROFESSIONAL !!!!!

The reason why I stress that YOU get all your paper work is that S.S. will have you sign a bunch of release forms and send them to your docs...unless you have there info already....if in that 30 days your Doctor's or HOSPITAL'S DO NOT send in the requested info you will be judged by the info you have provided ONLY, this is why you MUST get the paper work yourself and be AGGRESIVE about it, call everyday, show up un-expected and ask why is it taking so long?
Tell them you have a deadline...PLAY on there feelings to get what you MUST HAVE.

ACCORDING TO THE HIPPA LAW they MUST PROVIDE YOU WITH A COPY OF YOUR HEALTH RECORDS.

If you have a Doctor who is dragging his/her feet on the letter or paperwork DO NOT be afraid to tell them that BY LAW they MUST PROVIDE you with YOUR RECORDS....but TRY NOT to use this tactic unless your getting close to your date with SS and they still have not responded.

If they are dragging there feet with giving you a letter, then take the time to use your computer and make it look as if the letter is from the Doc's office by making up a nice and professional header etc....and write the letter yourself....then go in and tell the doctor you know his staff and he are VERY busy and you did them the favor of putting together the letter that DISABILITY REQUIRES...allow him time to read it and ask him if he agrees with all you have put on paper and then ask nicely if he will sign it and tell him that you did this to save him time and his staff the extra work. 99% of the time they will be happy to sign it.

Put all yor info you collected into the BINDER and be ready for your 2nd meeting (30days after the 1st) BUT and I can NOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT AND WHAT A HELP THIS WILL BE, but I want you to go to your CONGRESSMAN'S OFFICE and (call first and make an appt) and get his/her asst. to STAMP YOUR PACKAGE CONGRESSIONAL INTREST !!!!

THIS will make it a 99% chance it will fly through the process, plus they will follow it through your states system...and TRUST ME THAT STAMP JUST ABOUT GUARANTEES you to get your benefits.

After all is submitted feel free to call once in awhile but DO NOT BE A PAIN IN THE BUTT, just stay on top of it.

Call the congreesman's office and ask them to check on the status for you, this is what they do, so do not feel as if you're being a pain in there butt !!!!!

SHOULD THEY ASK FOR ANYTHING GET IT AS FAST AS POSSIBLE AND IF AND WHEN THEY DO CALL YOU JUST REMEEMBER TO ASK YOURSELF what do I need to say to help myself get my benefits?????

I can just about GUARANTEE you a POSOTIVE RESLUT IF YOU FOLLOW MY DIRECTIONS, just be patient after you have turned in your package and be sure to have a COMPLETE COPY OF THE BINDER for yu records and in case anyoine requires a copy of anything.

I am quite sure that before the 90 days is up you will hear from them and I can almost GUARANTEE the letter will start out by saying, CONGRATULATIONS you have been awarded your SS DISABILITY BENEFITS as of XXXX date and you should receive a check that day for about 12 grand......they will NOT offer you SS medical benefits until 25 months AFTER you have won your award from SS.
BE SURE to sign up for BOTH part A and B....A will be automatic but B MUST BE CHOSEN, UNLESS you have GUARANTED LIFETIME benefits from your employer you MUST take PART B as well at this time, if not when you do sign up for PART B you WILL pay a 10% penalty for each year after the year they offered it to you.

That's 10% of what the cost for past B is at the time you sign up for it...so be sure to take it IMMEDIATLEY when you get your first offer 25 months AFTER you win your award.

MAy I also suggest that you have them DIRECT DEPOSIT your check every month intoo your checking acct.
This way there is NO chanceof it getting stolen or lost in the mail and it is there on the day you expect it to be and is already considered cash !!!!!!

Well that;s it !!!!! It not that hard ust alot of running around and then the waiting.....but I can just about guaranteeof you follow my direction you WILL have no problem.

I hope that helps you.

Feel free to leave any other questions you may have. And I will be glad to answer them for you.

GOD BLESS
ST JAMES :wink:

PS...YOU DO "NOT" WANT TO CONTACT A LAWYER UNLESS YOU ARE REJECTED.....THEY WILLTAKE 30-50% of YOUR first BIG CHECK.
TRUST ME YOU WILL GET IT IF YOU FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS TO THE T !!!!!!!!!!
ASK SUZ....I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!

ALLoWeyo
06-21-2006, 06:58 AM
thank you soooooooooo much. I actually just got a friend who passed the bar exam and is doing disability cases. I will print this out and show it to him. I have a phone interview tomorrow. Honestly, I've been feeling misdiagnosed. So I'm going to the Mayo Clinic. Thank you all.

Razzleberry
06-21-2006, 07:21 AM
I have a question ....Is disability only for those people who have held a job or do housewives qualify?
Sharon

SoleSinger
06-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Another thing that you need to know is that you have to be as detailed as possible. And explain how just managing your illness is a full time job... If you want, PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy of my symptom impact matrix and my daily activity before and after matrix so that you can see just how detailed you need to be...

stjames13
06-21-2006, 01:28 PM
8)
MRS MURDENA

YOU ABSOLUTELY ARE ELIGABLE FOR S.S.

YOU HAVE THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB OF ALL !!!!!

ST JAMES 8)

PLEASE let me know if I can be of help to anyone of you ladies

Razzleberry
06-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Hmmm ...and I always thought no one noticed what I did :-) This disease is causing an extra financial burden on us ...a housecleaner, lawn care, convenience foods instead of what I usually make, sun protective clothing, not to mention medicines etc. ...maybe it's not as bad as losing your job and income but it is a strain. Help would be nice sometimes but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to take advantage of the system because I'm really not at all. Anyway St. James thanks for the advice and the upbeat posts :-)
Sharon

stjames13
06-22-2006, 02:12 PM
8)
ANYTIME THAT IS WHAT I AM HERE FOR, TO HELP SUZIE OUT AND TRY TO HELP US ALL LIVE A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE !!!

I hope you are doing well today

BEST REGARDS
St James

PS..How could you ever think no-one notices all the important things a MOM does ?????

WITHOUT MOM'S we would not even be here!!!!!

I LOVE YA MOM !!!! 8)