PDA

View Full Version : is this high Blood pressure

Morpheus
06-08-2006, 06:47 AM
yesterday had the most awfull day of my life. my head felt like it was goig to explode!!! felt a bit fasint throughout the day my eyes hurt a bit (could be itting infront of the pc "my job") and my knees are starting to pain slightly.

Although it could be a flare, i know, but what of the other symptoms?

I've had trouble with high bp before!! never felt this bad though!!!

:( :(

very worried, doctors rate high bp as a silent killer

pls help

quote: "You never remember what you are taught only what you learn"

author : unknown

Saysusie
06-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi Morpheus;
There is no way that I can tell you if it is high blood pressure or not. I can give you some information so that you can discuss this with your doctor. Blood pressure measures the force that the blood applies to the walls of the arteries as it flows through them. It's normal for blood pressure to increase when you exert yourself, or when you feel stressed or anxious. But if the blood pressure is consistently higher than normal at rest, this is high blood pressure, also known as hypertension. The most common symptoms (when symptoms are present) are:headaches, dizziness, blurred vision, low libido or lack of sexual desire
You might consider getting a blood pressure monitor to use yourself at home - discuss this option with your doctor, who should be able to help you choose a suitable one. If you do decide to buy one, go for a model that takes a measurement from your upper arm rather than your wrist or finger. And look for evidence that it has been "clinically validated" - proven to consistently match the readings given by professional monitors.
The unit of measurement for blood pressure is millimetres of mercury - or mmHg (where Hg is the chemical symbol for mercury). This is because the traditional blood pressure monitor - known as a sphygmomanometer - uses a column of mercury to measure pressure. The same units are used for electronic blood pressure monitors.
Best of Luck
Saysusie