PDA

View Full Version : To pain pill or not to pain pill...that is the question.

Phoenix2369
09-15-2012, 04:45 AM
I've noticed recently that in my daily morning grab for all my medications I automatically grab the tramadol and pop one along with everything else.

I'm scared that if I miss a dose the aches I feel will become full blown pain, and I wont be able to function. I feel like my quality of life drops without the pain medication. When you can't go out because every step you take sends shooting pain up your legs. (I've been asked multiple times why I'm limping.) When going out to eat and having trouble feeding yourself because you cant lift your hand to your mouth. Not being able to wash your own hair because your knuckles are swollen and lock when you actually can get them to bend. Literally holding going to the bathroom because your arm doesnt rotate well enough to wipe yourself without being extremely painful... WHAT KIND OF LIFE IS THAT?

I feel like my only shot at having a "normal" life, where I can do things everyone else takes for granted, is to take the pain killers I was first so against.

What I want to know is how does everyone pain manage? Different pills for different kind of pain days? Maybe a regular dosing of something non narcotic and mild like me with my tramadol? And then something more potent for really bad days?

Do you feel like you are becoming tolerant? Addicted? Do you even care?

steve.b
09-15-2012, 05:54 AM
i also have fibro with lupus....
i need pain meds on a daily basis.

i think quite a lot of us take regular pain meds.
just to lower the highs during the day.

rob
09-15-2012, 07:09 AM
I take whatever I need to take to get through my day relatively pain free, or at least with the really bad pain dulled down to a tolerable level. I have both SLE, and MS, and the pain from them is very real, so I feel no guilt whatsoever about taking meds to control the pain. And, pain causes physical stress, and it's a known fact that autoimmine disorders like SLE feed off of stress. Pain meds can help break the self perpetuating cycle of pain-stress-flare.

Rob

Derrie
09-15-2012, 07:55 AM
I take 7.5mg of meloxicam (Mobic), which is an NSAID, twice a day almost without fail. Then, if I have bothersome pain after the meloxicam, I may take 50mg of tramadol up to twice a day. I try to limit my tramadol because I have a rare side-effect: mild myoclonus (uncontrollable, random muscle jerks). The more tramadol I take, the jerkier I get, so I never take more than 100mg a day.

I never feel bad about taking my pain meds. Like Rob said, the make my day to day life more livable, and there is no shame in that!

Derrie
09-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Also. It is important to know the difference between regular pain medication use, tolerance, dependence, and addition.

Regular pain medication use is taking pain meds every day to control pain. This is totally normal, and just because you take them every day does not mean you have a dependence or addiction.

Sometimes, we get more tolerant of medications when we've been on them a long time, and we have to take higher doses over time. Your doctor will let you know how high you can safely go to manage your pain while limiting side effects.

Dependence means your body has come to rely on the medication, and you will go through withdrawal symptoms if you stop it. This, too, is not a "bad" thing. Certain medications like Lyrica, gabapentin, and others change your system enough that your body begins to expect them. If you stop suddenly, you may have a bad reaction, including shakes, irritability, nausea, or even a seizure from some medications. This is why it's essential to talk to your doctor before stopping any medication suddenly. Your doctor will help you wean yourself off a medication by slowly reducing the dose.

Addiction means you take drugs for fun, for a high, for a non-medical reason to get a certain feeling, and you can't stop. It is very important to realize that you are not an addict just because you take pills every day to manage pain. If you do find yourself taking higher doses or taking doses when you don't have pain because you want the feeling or buzz that comes from the pills, that is when you need to talk to your doctor because you are exhibiting signs of drug abuse or addiction.

ItsLupus2007
09-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Derrie made a really great post!

Also pain medications work BETTER for chronic conditions when they are taken on a regular schedule vs as needed in an acute situation.It is alot harder to play "catch-up"and try to control the pain after it gets really out of hand than it is to be pro-active and kind of try to keep it tempered.

I would definitely say "To pain pill" :)

LenaT14
09-15-2012, 10:16 AM
I have lupus/fibro combo and am extremely med sensitive and can't take any of the typical immunosuppressive therapies except 200 mgs of plaq so I have to manage pain/symptoms if I want even close to a normal life. I never took anything stronger than OTC migraine meds before I got sick but now I'm over the pain med stigma. If I want to be able to get out of this bed then I better just go ahead and take these pills on a regular basis :-)
50mgs Nucynta am/pm
200mgs Plaq am
4mgs Zanaflex pm
10 mgs Prozac pm
25 mgs Topomax pm
I'm back to working 3 days/week on this combo where before I wasn't able to work since Feb because I was so sick.
Good luck!

rob
09-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Derrie made a really great post!

Seconded!!

debbie-b
09-15-2012, 02:27 PM
I do take Mobic and Flexeril, on a pretty regular basis. My rheumy always wants me to take Vivadon, which I have at home, but I hate to take them, because they make me feel blah, whoozy,listless, it is not a good feeling. On top of feeling so yucky, it never really helps that much with the pain.
That is, why the bottle of Vicadon is still full. The combo of Mobic and Flexeril, helps somewhat. I wouldn't want to be without them.

Debbie

Mica
09-15-2012, 03:03 PM
First off I loved Derrie's post, second I take a mixture of pain meds. A narcotic, a muscle relaxer, and neurotin. Us lupus people get all different kinds of pain so I need different pain pills for different kinds of pain. Though I watch my intake of pain pills very VERY carefully, first off i'm 21 and I don't want to be completely dependent on high dosages of pain meds so young yet. Secondly I come from a long line of addicts in my family, both booze and pills, and because I can get my pain pills easily I have to watch and make sure I don't take the pills for anything other than pain. I will admit I have abused the narcotics slightly, not for recreation purposes, but they calm me down and I would take one to calm down if I was really anxious or angry. I don't do that much anymore when I saw that I was becoming addicted to that calmness I would get.
I know I wouldn't be able to get out of bed if it wasn't for the pain meds so I am a supporter of consistent pain management.

Derrie
09-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Aw, shucks. Thanks, y'all.

Corella
09-15-2012, 08:23 PM
I take two different kinds of pain meds - panadol osteo and Mersyndol night strength which are a godsend for tight muscles.

I take on average 2 tabs in the morning and 2 in the evening because that manages my pain, not to zero but to a manageable level.

And that helps me to live my life - so no guilt for taking them.

steve.b
09-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Derrie made a really great post!.....

this post is one of those we need to try to keep safe somewhere.
a great explanation.

jmail
09-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Derrie made a really great post!...

Seconded!!

Thirded!!!...

I never have liked that "pain pill" nomenclature... Sounds like it hurts. I prefer "pain management", which doesn't necessarily means it (the pain) goes away...

Jltoland
09-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I go to a fab pain management doctor. Not only does he truly subscribe to the whole idea where pain management is to improve your quality of life, his PA has lupus as well. She gets what we go through on a daily basis. There's a lot of frogs out there but I have a true prince with my doctor's office.