PDA

View Full Version : Self Tanners

ButterflyRN
06-06-2006, 02:03 PM
So has anyone tried a self tanner or know if self tanners are safe to use? I've throught about trying one but haven't asked my rhematologist yet on how safe if is for Lupus Patients. Also I'm hessitant and don't want to turn orange :D . If anyone has tried one or if you have been told not too use them please reply. Also if you have tried one which ones do you thing is best to use. I'm so sick of being so white all summer :D ! Thanks! Health and Happiness to everyone!

silverlioness
06-06-2006, 10:23 PM
I just tried L'Oreal Sublime Bronze (today and yesterday). I'll have to let you know how it works when I get the kinks worked out. This is the first time I've used a self tanner in 15 years. They still stink - that I know for sure.

ButterflyRN
06-07-2006, 04:38 AM
Thanks for reply. I look forward to seeing how it works for you silverlioness!

TracyDawn
06-07-2006, 10:53 AM
I was wondering the same thing about those lotions you can get now with the bronzer stuff in them. I have never been so ghostly white as I am now and it's kind of depressing. My skin is super sensitive to any lotions OR sunscreen so don't want to spend the money if it doesn't even work to begin with ya know? Please let us know how it goes silverlioness, cause I am thinking maybe that could be an option. It's sad when you live in FL and don't have a tan ROFL

Trista
06-08-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't use a sunless tanner but I have tried the lotions with bronzers in them (specifically Jergens Natural Glow). I actually like them because it's a gradual change in skin color and it looks natural. I'm a natural redhead so I know what it's like to be a ghost...I've actually come to enjoy my paleness. Anyway, good luck finding something that works

ButterflyRN
06-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks Trista! I actually think I may try the Jergens!

silverlioness
06-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I have a red complexion and the tanner is golden, so I had an issue where my arms meet my hands. I also, at first, had problems with my knees, elbows, and feet. I used lemon juice to lighten my knees and elbows. And I used a make up sponge to apply the tanner to my feet. All in all, I really liked the results.

AngelaLJ
06-13-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm a middle eastern dancer and I use tanners all the time. I really like the spray on tanner by Almay usually in the makeup aisle at Walmart. I don't have a lot of skin related symptoms so I can't say that it wouldn't cause a problem, but I've never flared in any other way. On the bottle they always tell you to do a test area first just in case.

Missy
06-14-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm totally addicted to self-tanners. Love them! I've been the palest person I know all of my life. Also, I have sensitive skin.

Here's a funny thing, though. I try to use cosmetics and body care products with no parabens and few chemicals in them for health and environmental reasons, but self-tanners are totally my exception! Because I love them and they make me feel so much better about myself!

Ok - so here's what I've used:
I LOVE the ones that have SPF in them - cause why not? I can always use sun protection (most have SPF 15)
Alba self tanner

ButterflyRN
06-14-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm so glad that there have been some of you that have used the self tanners. I've been a little fearful to try one out especially since I didn't know if they were really safe for us lupies. But I guess they are since many of you use them. I haven't bought one yet but I'm excited to do so this weekend. Thanks to all of you who have been replying.- Butterfly

Missy
06-14-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm totally addicted to self-tanners. Love them! I've been the palest person I know all of my life. Also, I have sensitive skin.

Here's a funny thing, though. I try to use cosmetics and body care products with no parabens and few chemicals in them for health and environmental reasons, but self-tanners are totally my exception! Because I love them and they make me feel so much better about myself!

Ok - so here's what I've used:
I LOVE the ones that have SPF in them - cause why not? I can always use sun protection (most have SPF 15)

Alba self tanner - natural brand going paraben free in 2006 and has SPF. In Fred Meyer natural section, your local co-op or natural foods store.

Bath & Body Works gradual tanner - not as dark as self tanner, True Blue Spa line has SPF 15 and smells like an orange creamsicle, but smell goes away quick. No steaking at all, very mild color change

I've used Neutrogena foaming mousse self tanner, too. It was ok.

I also bought a "Jet Tan" sprayer thing off the home shopping network. FOR REAL. Told you I love self-tanning. It did get clogged a bit, but easy to use. My husband would spray me in the shower. It's like what you'd get at one of those spray tanning booths you pay so much for. (I have never been to one, amazingly!)I have gone to salons and had someone spray tan me with an industrial system. The jet tan thing is similar - great before a vacation or other special event, then I use the self-tanning cream to extend it.

Whew! Hope this helps!

ButterflyRN
07-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Well I tried the Jergen's and it worked well but I wasn't too excited about the smell. I've switched and am now using the olay touch of sun and it seems to work pretty well and it smells good. It doesn't make you look like you've been at the beach but it at least gives me some color. At least when I put on white shorts I don't look like you can't tell my legs from my shorts :mrgreen:
My husband has noticed and he says it looks pretty good. Just wanted to let everyone know I tried it out. Thanks for everybody's responses. Butterfly :B-fly: