PDA

View Full Version : Not sure

ritzbit2
09-11-2012, 02:20 PM
As some of you know, I've been having some odd ball problems lately. I've been really dizzy often, and I dont know why. I check my BP and HR frequently to make sure they aren't doing anything they shouldn't be. They have been "normal" for me and still dizzy. This morning I felt really out of sorts and came upstairs to take my BP and HR and they were around what they usually were, but I could feel my pulse all over my body. My chest has been hurting also. Everytime I stand up I get light headed. I had a "baby" fever yesterday (not what my doctors would consider a fever but it was elevated. 99.6). I also have had bladder control problems in the past, that lately I thought were under control but woke up this morning to realize that they haven't.... :( in other words it hasn't been a good day. I'm glad my lupus support group meeting is tonight.

serand4
09-11-2012, 02:30 PM
The dizzy's hit me frequently, too. Usually my BP is low but sometimes a bit of milk or orange juice will help. I don't know if blood sugar is a symptom but it does seem to help. At least I run into the wall less!

Derrie
09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Plaquenil can cause low blood sugar, and I definitely experience dizziness, fatigue, and irritability when I go too long without eating, since I started Plaquenil. I got my blood glucose checked a while back, and even after breakfast, in was in the 50s. My doctors blame the Plaquenil.

I'm not saying that's the cause of your problems, but since you're on Plaquenil, it's worth being aware of the hypoglycemia it can cause. It's a nice excuse to carry around what I refer to as my "prescription strength jelly beans." (Though one less than bright friend of mine exclaimed when I told her that, "Wow, I didn't know you could get a prescription for candy!!" Sigh.)

I'm really sorry you're not feeling well! That just sucks.

ritzbit2
09-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I actually thought I had diabetes in middle school lol I kept insisting everyone check it because I had "all the symptoms". Most of them were actually just brought about by Sjogrens. I might still have my aunts old blood sugar monitor in my room. I might look for it. I have gathered a lot of my own home medical supplies lol have a home blood pressure monitor too. Thats mostly for my mom though, she has had really bad high BP before. I doubt its blood sugar though, I've had a far bit of sweets today.

BTW this post just made me a puppy (for the second time around lol)

Derrie
09-11-2012, 03:11 PM
You're probably right because you know how your body feels, but it's all I could think of. When do you see your doc next?

(Me, I'm just a lowly kitten.)

jmail
09-11-2012, 03:12 PM
The doc's office can do an A1C test next time you're in there, which gives them a good idea of your "average" blood sugar for the previous few weeks. Like Derrie and serand4 suggest, keeping something sweet close at hand might be a good idea. However, be careful of doing a "carb frenzy", where you can't get enough carbs, and just keep eating the sweets, which is just as bad to do. After doing a sugar "kick", get some protein to go with it. And get to the doctor's (or at least call them) and get it checked-out... diabetes can be just as damaging to kidneys as lupus.

ritzbit2
09-11-2012, 03:18 PM
I've had some really funky smelling urine for a month now (no other urine/urinary problems) so I asked my primary if they can check it out while I'm there this Friday for my flu shot. I hope they know what all to check because my rheums the one who usually does all that. I'm sure they can do a blood sugar test then too if I think they need to. I dont go to my rheum for a few weeks. I have managed to stay away for another 2 months :D success!

jmail
09-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Most doc offices have the supplies for the A1C, which is a simple test, with a little gizmo that does a quick "mini-slice" in your finger (as opposed to the pin prick of the regular tester), and they put the blood drop in a tube with some "test chemicals", that after it sits for a certain time, will give them a reading that is "easy" to read (except by dunces like me). They could also do a "fasting" blood draw test, if I'm remembering correctly... they might be able to do a non-fasting one, but I can't remember... Where's the Wizard of Oz with my brain?

ritzbit2
09-11-2012, 06:03 PM
My pulse is very low for me right now. I normally run around at least 130 (it was 134 when I took it this morning (because I was feeling weird)) and right now its lower than its EVER been (before the heart rate problem I ran at about 90-100) at only 70. I don't know why my body keeps jumping from the two extremes. Its making me feel really sick. I'm constantly dizzy. Either somethings too low or too high making me feel dizzy. I would like to get off this rollercoaster now please. My chest hurts.

ritzbit2
09-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Unless I get really sick and want to let everyone know about my condition I probably won't be posting for awhile. If anyone here is friends with me on facebook and/or has seen my blog you will know I haven't been myself lately and I don't want to say something here that will get me banned because I really do love it, but I think its limitations are absolutely ridiculous. I mean no disrespect, thats just how I feel. Hugs to you all.

n.mac
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I am whats considered a well controlled type II diabetic -I would not be on meds for it except as jmail pointed out diabeties can be as damaging to your kidneys as lupus
and my dr doesn't want to take any chances with my kidneys.
Light headedness and funky urine can certainly be caused by diabeties -it is easily checked. I would definetly asked to be tested-if for no other reason than ruling it out.

jmail
09-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Ritz, the way you go up and down with the heart rate and bp, might be thyroid, might be arrythmia, but either way, get to the doc...

ritzbit2
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I have been very up and down, both physically and mentally, the past few weeks. If I say anything snappy again anytime soon I apologize. I really don't know whats up with me :( The past few months have gone a little something like this: happy, active, energized (for me, meaning more awake than usual), on top of my school work, feeling healthy, depressed, headaches, loss of appetite, tired, angry, swollen, heart problems, falling behind in school, infections then hit repeat. This has been a really not-so-fun cycle and I don't know what the cause is. Lupus, my other ailments, or some new undiscovered problem? I went to the doctor who sent me to the hospital and had heart tests done and nothing came back even though I have been SO dizzy and out of sorts. My heart is always racing and I can feel it EVERYWHERE. He gave me a cardiologists number and I called and left a message with them today. I don't want to wait for the Childrens appointment I have all the way in November because something is really going on right now.

jmail
09-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Have you been tested for asthma lately, including a blood gas level? Any recent x-rays of the lungs? (I see you have "Interstitial Lung Disease".) Has a doc done an A1C test on you?

ritzbit2
09-24-2012, 05:25 PM
I had a chest xray that showed nothing. My pulmonologist said at my last appointment that if nothing came of any tests the cardiologist does in Nov then she is going to do a test for asthma while I'm up doing stuff. She doesn't think its likely but two of my three younger brothers have asthma, one who outgrew it. I honestly think part of my breathing problems, especially this time of year is Raynauds related. My rheum told me the blood vessel spasms can happen in the small blood vessels anywhere, even your lungs. I was freezing this morning and my chest felt weird and my heart was racing and I could barely breathe. I have been having terrible joint pain, which is kind of not usual for me because for the most part my pain is in my muscles, or just related to some general swelling. The pain usually isn't specifically in my joints, if that makes any sense. My hands have hurt so bad though. Typing this hurts. Doing homework hurts. I can't play any of my computer games to destress because they hurt so much. I kind of roam around on facebook most of my free time, because doing much else hurts. All over pain, weird red spots on my legs and arms. I think it could be a full blown flare probably brought on by A LOT of stress. It was bad the past few weeks and this past weekend kind of pushed me over the edge with the bad joint pain. I see a rheum this Thursday, not mine though because she cancelled her appointments this week. Hope they can fix me :(

nvsmom
09-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Little red spots all over your arms and legs could be petechiae (tiny hemorrhage under the skin) from thrombocytopenia. If your platelets are under AI attack you could end up anemic and that would help you feel crumbier. Other symptoms would be nose or gum bleeds, more bruising than normal, and heavier and longer periods.

I hope you feel better soon. It sounds like you are going through a really tough time. (hugs)