PDA

View Full Version : Silly question - Plaqenil and Mtx at once?

SleepyInSeattle
09-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi there!

I am on plaquenil and methotrexate - no bad side effects from either. So far, I seem to have a cast-iron stomach (I do always take meds right after a meal - never on an empty tummy) and a cooperative liver.

Here's my question - can I take them at the same time? Like with the same swallow of water? So they're in my stomach together? Or should I stagger them by a few hours? LOL - I have not been on this pharmaceutical bandwagon long enough yet to be casual about these things - I always worry they're going to do some strange and dangerous chemistry experiment in there - like PopRocks and Coke.... :-P

I will discuss it with my doc, of course, but I also wanted to get your opinions/experiences. You guys often seem a lot smarter (or at least more experienced) than anybody else.

Thanks...and I hope you're all doing well today!

tgal
09-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I take mine at the same time. Heck, I take 8 others with them
Too! Lol

steve.b
09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
i also take mine at the same time...... with lots of others.

n.mac
09-11-2012, 12:18 PM
When I first started taking multiple meds I asked my personel nurse (my wife is an RN) the same question.
She told me she passes meds to 43 patients per shift -everyone gets all thier meds at once-it is rare to have to take meds separately.

jmail
09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Usually, the only restrictions would be for like a thyroid med that must be absorbed by itself for full efficacy (wow! where'd that word come from... lol) without food. I've found some meds that can't be taken with antacids, or like "no milk products one hour before and two hours after", or that kind of thang. Then there's antibiotics... they can have a few weird "must not be" kind of things.

Jltoland
09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm on plaquenil and MTX at the same time. Ugh. Considering plaquenil did nothing for me, I want to throw it at the doctor.

tgal
09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm on plaquenil and MTX at the same time. Ugh. Considering plaquenil did nothing for me, I want to throw it at the doctor.

How long have you been on the plaq? It can take up to 6 months to really work

Jltoland
09-14-2012, 08:04 PM
8 months now. :( it did nothing. Steroids helped but plaquenil did nothing.

Phoenix2369
09-15-2012, 04:05 AM
I take mine at the same time. Heck, I take 8 others with them
Too! Lol

Lol. This made me giggle.

I feel the same as the others. I take as many things at once as I can swallow. The morning is a legit bottle opening frenzy.

jmail
09-16-2012, 03:52 PM
I hate the bottle tops on some of mine...