PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to proceed w/Medicaid, BF works but I might have lots of medical bills

MorrisonGal
09-10-2012, 03:39 PM
My Dr wants me to apply to medicaid since I don't have income or insurance or savings and the local rheumatologists are blowing off his referrals for me. Just freaked, don't know how I'll pay medical bills and get well enough to work if I get denied. Had to quit my new job a couple weeks ago, haven't been working much for 2 years due to lupus and related issues.

steve.b
09-10-2012, 09:58 PM
sorry i do not know the silly american system.
but i hear ya.

MorrisonGal
09-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks, Steve. I guess I'm just having a pity party over this. I always feel apprehensive when I start something that involves lots of paperwork and waiting.

tgal
09-11-2012, 11:37 AM
You are in a tough place. I know this because I have been uninsured since July of 2010. It is myself and my daughter in my home and even when we were living on $300 a month we made too much for me to get medicaid (yeah, you read that right). If you are young, with young children, you will have a better chance of getting it but for me I ended up having to wait for my medicare which I will get Oct 1 (2 1/2 years after it was decided I was disabled). My heart goes out to you because I have been living where you are at the moment and it is such a difficult place to be.

If you live in a large city check to see if they have some kind of county indigent system (Houston has The Gold Card). My county didn't have anything but maybe you will be luckier

jmail
09-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Like Mari says, you need an advocate, if one is available, either with local or state government, to help you find options. Maybe someone else from the Ogden, Utah area can chime in. Pretty country, btw...

MorrisonGal
09-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks Mari and jmail - I will have to start making phone calls to find someone to help me get services.